Friday 21 November 2008

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep...

IM002956 That man is so kind...Bob brought me a present from Maplin [it's not like he needs an excuse to go in that shop!]

The little speaker from the radio by my bed broke, and he's just got me a new one. These inexpensive pillow speakers are great if you suffer from insomnia, or are married to someone who has sleep apnoea or who snores, or if anything else prevents you from sleeping.

You plug it in, slip the speaker inside the pillowcase - and you can listen to the radio, but NOBODY ELSE can hear it. Not even the person lying next to you.

So if Bob's snoring wakes me at 3am, I tune in to the World Service, or BBC7 and listen for a bit. Then I switch off the radio - or more usually drift off to sleep again really quickly. The speaker slips down and when I wake up next day, the Today programme is already going - and I can listen to the early morning news without waking Bob.

The only downside which I have discovered is that occasionally I plump up the pillows and forget the speaker is inside - and break the cable. So this is my 3rd speaker in 10 years. I will try and be more careful with this one !

Tolstoy said "In the dark night of the soul it is always four o'clock in the morning"

It will soon be Advent - not sure if we'll be singing this oldie - verse two always makes me think of those who suffer from insomnia

"Thy kingdom come!" on bended knee
the passing ages pray;
and faithful souls have yearned to see
on earth that kingdom's day.

But the slow watches of the night
not less to God belong;
and for the everlasting right
the silent stars are strong.

And lo, already on the hills
the flags of dawn appear;
gird up your loins, ye prophet souls,
proclaim the day is near:

The day to whose clear shining light
all wrong shall stand revealed,
when justice shall be throned in might,
and every heart be healed;

When knowledge, hand in hand with peace,
shall walk the earth abroad;
the day of perfect righteousness,
the promised day of God.

As a child, my friend Honor was always confused by the second verse - she could never understand why God did not wind up his watch!!

4 comments:

  1. Angela:

    Greetings from a fellow Angela (though I go by Angie). I hopped over here from James Cary's blog a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying reading yours.

    I like the purse you did for your aunt. I'm an embroidery beginner and have been having fun with it. You might enjoy the Needle 'n Thread blog.

    I know lots of hymns, having been a church accompanist on and off through the years, but the Advent one you posted above was unfamiliar to me. Wonderful hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have to get me one of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Angie - thanks for dropping by {I am Angela or Ang - NEVER Angie!] thanks for needle'n'thread link.

    AG - the new pillow speaker works a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela,
    I have never seen a pillow speaker. What a great idea! I will have to look over here to see if I can find one. I often wake up at night, and sometimes end up waking my husband. It would be nice to have, to help me go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!