Tuesday 31 March 2009

The Burden of Sin

Three days ago, my Sunday School class were continuing their study of Hebrews and the men and women of faith - and our need to 'lay aside every weight' and run the race set before etc. The book suggested getting the children to wear a heavy backpack and see the difference it made to their progress when they ran round the room.

At the After Church Coffee, people saw me with it and asked if I was going hiking - so I explained it was my Burden Of Sin.

IM003331 I loaded a bag with the suggested items- labels for Jealousy, Hatred, Disobedience, and Selfishness, a TV mag and a catalogue [to represent things that pull us away from God] and two dumb-bells labelled "SIN"

The lesson went well, the discussion was good and the activity was fun. But Sunday was busy and I was tired. I got home at lunchtime and dropped the bag in the hallway, just inside the front door.

IM003329 For three days I have ignored it, stepped round it, tripped on it, and stubbed my toe. I think it got in Bob's way too [not to mention our poor arthritic dog]

Finally, this morning I dealt with it, moved it, and took out the contents.

It was hindering my progress and yet I tried to pretend it wasn't there and avoided dealing with it. Excuses - I am in a hurry, I am too tired, I can do it tomorrow, it's a fairly small bag, I didn't hurt my toe that much, maybe Bob will sort it out when I am at school...

Well it is done now, and I feel much better [and can go off and do an afternoon's teaching knowing the dog won't trip over it in my absence]

What strikes me is this - we are all prone to treating our real Burden Of Sin in the same way. Avoiding dealing with it, making excuses [I'll do it tomorrow, it's only a small sin, I'll let the Pastor sort it out, it's his job...] Why don't we just run back to our loving Father and accept his grace and forgiveness? Everything feels so much better afterwards!

Jesus is seeking the wanderers yet;
Why do they roam?
Love only waits to forgive and forget;
Home, weary wanderers, home!
Wonderful love, wonderful love,
Dwells in the heart of the Father above

3 comments:

  1. So much easier to leave it on the floor and tiptoe past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Angela!

    A great children's and grown-up lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burden of sin in the hallway that you have to walk around ... what a great illustration of what most of us do everyday (I definitely do). It's amazing I haven't broken a leg yet ...

    frances

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!