Sunday 26 December 2010

Ay Up Me Duck!**

Boxing Day began with Church [well, it is Sunday!] We dismantled the paper chains we had made  in yesterday’s service  and  we each got a section containing a task or two which would be an Act Of Random Kindness, or a Reminder Of God’s Goodness.

DSCF1001

My two links said “Look Up At the Stars” and “Take Cakes To Colleagues At Work”

I shall do #1 whilst at Cornerstones, and #2 when term starts again.

 

DSCF1002

 

 

Back home for lunch. Bob is now Officially On Holiday, so he cooked two superb curries [a veg one and a turkey one]

I filled the pavlova I had prepared earlier with some cherries and raspberries from the freezer.

 

 

DSCF1004

Then we went for a walk in Abbey Park.[One of Bob’s paper chains said “Go for a walk”]

It was like ‘Walking In a Winter Wonderland’. The river and boating lake were frozen.the ducks seemed very cold. The waterfowl came right up to us though [we hadn't taken any food for them though]

DSCF1005

On the bridge, looking at the ice

DSCF1006

Nobody is going in the water today!

DSCF1013

More cold waterfowl [is that a crane?]

DSCF1007

DSCF1008

DSCF1009

Weird sculpture [wonderful daughter]

DSCF1010

The Chinese pagoda and bridge

DSCF1011

DSCF1012

Cardinal Wolsey looked very cold too!

DSCF1014

The ruins are picturesque

DSCF1015

Back home for tea and hot buttered crumpets. Later on,  Liz and Bob made Bubble’n’Squeak for our evening meal. Real Comfort Food!

Then we watched “Upstairs, Downstairs”. I am reserving judgement till I have seen all three programmes!

Looking forward to Cornerstones tomorrow – but sorry to be parting from the girls, we have had such a great time together.

**Ay Up Me Duck is a popular expression in Leicestershire. According to the BBC it means “Good Day Sir [or Madam]”

4 comments:

  1. Hope you had a very blessed Christmas.

    I think the bird is a heron - but don't quote me on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, on reflection, I think you may be right. I am sure some ornithologist out there will give us full details soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go for heron also, I think.
    Have a lovely restful time at Cornerstones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a heron! I think...
    I love the expression "ay up me duck" :o)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!