Tuesday 15 March 2011

Gonna Make You A Star!

My final costume for the School Production is a Star.

Here’s the tutorial!

Ask your star to stand with arms outstretched and measure from wrist to wrist. My child was 90cm across!

Now find an old mattress protector, a bit of plastic curtain track and some foil…

DSCF2019

DSCF2021

I cut my track into three lengths [with a junior hacksaw]

Now put the three pieces on your doubled fabric like this

DSCF2022

With your Sharpie marker draw round them.

Then use the ‘horizontal’ strip as a ruler to draw in the other lines to make a five pointed star.

DSCF2024

Remove the strips, pin together, cut out the star

DSCF2025

Sew the channels for the horizontal and two vertical bits of track.DSCF2026 DO NOT sew over the places where the tracks cross!

DSCF2027

 

Now check that all three tracks will slide into their channels.

DSCF2028

Cover the star shape with your golden fabric or foil or whatever you have to hand. Kitchen foil would work, I guess. My foil was plastic stuff, and it ripped very  easily. There is lots of sellotape holding this in place!

DSCF2029

Finally cut an oval hole for the child’s face to peep through [the edges of this hole are bound with still more sellotape] and make two elastic loops to hold the star on the child’s wrists.I used the elastic strips from the corners of my mattress protector! They are just visible on this picture.

DSCF2030

The track keeps the star in shape, and the lightly wadded mattress protector gives the star a bit of substance. Depending on how well it fits at the trying-on session, I may add an extra strap round the neck/shoulders [like an apron strap] for extra security.

[btw this production involves lots of Nursery Rhymes- Twinkle twinkle, Old MacDonald, Hickory Dickory Dock etc – hence the star, cows, pigs, mice…]

2 comments:

  1. You are such a whizz at the costumes!! You remind me of my parent's neighbour when I was growing up. Mrs H would come round for a natter and discuss with my Mum (also a whizz in the sewing department) the thirty, or so, 'top hat and tails' etc she was making for the scout's 'Gang Show'. I don't know when the poor woman slept!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methinks the real star here is you!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!