Sunday 6 March 2011

Stir Us Up To Prayer

Today after church we are having a meeting for those involved with the Youth Work. We are taking packed lunches. So I put two yogurts in my box and then hunted for a couple of teaspoons as well [yes we do have teaspoons at church, but I thought it was easier to have my own with me!] I dug out two small ones from the drawer. I had completely forgotten this one [even though it was out at Christmas for the pickles]

DSCF2001

This spoon was a gift from a friend who visited New Zealand. You can just about work out the picture – it is the Cathedral in Christchurch – now sadly in pieces. My spoon has become even more precious now.

I was very moved by the words of the Archbishop, to the journalist, immediately after the earthquake “So how do you feel, now your church has been destroyed”

The reply was instant “The building is damaged – but the church is the people and they are strong in their faith”

This story on the BBC website yesterday was good news too…

Unexpectedly finding the spoon in the cutlery drawer this morning has reminded me that we need to go on praying for our friends on the other side of the world, as they rebuild their lives.

May God continue to keep their faith strong

3 comments:

  1. I have to comment on this post. Last night I was talking to Mum and Dad about the news from the people I know in Christchurch. We have several ex staff and students who are now in Chch (their abreviation not mine). This is the latest facebook update from one friend:

    "You know you're from Chch when...we live in one suburb, shower in another, get power from our next door neighbour and collect water from the local school! - that's what life is like for us personally at the moment! :-)"

    They are not badly affected but have been living without water and power since the quake. This is what happens in a developed country, how much worse must it be when these things happen in the developing world (Haiti for example). Anyway these are just the thoughts that have been going through my head in the last 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Yes, we continue to pray. Bill was in NZ (Auckland, not Chch) just before the quake. One of my sweetest bloggy friends also lives in Chch. I like your pickle/yogurt spoon. Thank you for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping NZ in my prayers and thankful it wasn't worse. Neat that your pretty spoon will be extra special now.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!