Saturday 26 March 2011

Signs Of Spring

DSCF0007

 

Look! the first new leaves on the fig tree, and tiny baby figlets appearing.

See! The winter is past; 
the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth; 
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves
is heard in our land.
The fig tree forms its early fruit; 
the blossoming vines spread their fragrance.
Arise, come, my darling; 
my beautiful one, come with me.”

[Song Of Solomon 2:11-13]

The sight of the fig tree returning to life always fills me with enthusiasm and hope.

Something else which is becoming an annual event is my attempt at Giving Away in Lent. Yet again, as fast as I try to pass on things to others, I find myself on the receiving end of unexpected gifts…

Last week, Bob mentioned a sewing project he would like me to investigate for his PA gear. “I would need to experiment with some Lycra” I said [now you are all intrigued- but you will have to wait] Tis week at school, a colleague gave me a whole bin-bag absolutely full of pieces of Lycra

DSCF0006

Admittedly it is all fabulous shimmering, sparkling, brightly coloured stuff [she makes costumes for her daughter’s Dance School productions] but for my test pieces it will prove just the thing I need.

And then I used up a fair bit of The Great Stash for the Nursery Rhyme Animal Costumes – only to be presented with two carrier bags full of fur fabric at church on Sunday.

It does look like I’ve put a load of wild animals in the washing machine!

DSCF0008

Meanwhile, Bob has been spending his odd moments attempting to repair the side fence. The posts rotted and it was in danger of collapse. On the other side, the ground level is higher. No repair job like this is ever straightforward – but our neighbours are lovely, patient people [and fortunately do not have any pets which could escape through the current gap] and Bob is slowly getting everything sorted.

Yet again, we find the Pastor on his knees.

DSCF0004

To amend the old saying

Good neighbours make good fences

8 comments:

  1. I have a slightly naughty vision of Bob in Abba type costume, sprayed on Lycra....???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing - I posted this quotation a few weeks ago!!!!

    lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pastor repairing fences...good job there!

    Love your spring buds photo, I so enjoy this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for spring! We once again find ourselves in a world of white here, but the trees are budding nonetheless.

    I'm curious about the lycra.

    Repairing fences is a big job. Perhaps Bob is on his knees for two reasons :o). Glad you have good neighbours.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its been glorious sunshine here in Dorset 20c yesterday. I love Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me promise everybody that I will never subject the world to the sight of me in skin-tight Lycra. Such a thing would be too horrible to contemplate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for that encouraging news!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!