Monday 7 March 2011

This Little Piggy Went To Market…

I have been busy making costumes for school – five little piggies! I was given two large pink cloaks from a previous production and asked to turn them into 5 pigs’ outfits – each one being a tabard and a mask.

I did most of the sewing on my overlocker, with ask details on my regular machine. The fabric was a rather horrid slippery pink crimplene type stuff- neither of my machines liked it very much!

The tabards are just two rectangles [with side tabs at the hips – no side seams or fastening, and a slit at the neck]

clip_image002[10]

The masks were from a pig face I found on the internet – three layers – back, wadding and front – this gives some stiffness but without being uncomfortable. I zigzagged round the eyes then cut out the holes. Then I sewed lengths of elastic to hold the masks in place. I used white buttons on ovals of pink felt for the nostrils [you can just see the brown thread stitching them into place]

The curly pigtails were simply pipecleaners threaded into a tube of fabric, and curled round an ordinary household candle to get the spiral shape. These will pin onto the tabards with safety pins [that means the tabards can be multi purpose]

DSCF2003

I wanted to make history…

…but I ended up making costumes!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent costumes as usual Angela :-)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!