Monday 19 November 2012

WWDPXmas

I am in Cheltenham this week for the Annual Planning Conference of the Women’s World Day Of Prayer [having been on the National Committee since September] I confess that I am a little apprehensive – not altogether sure quite what is expected of me.

cards

However I have been asked to take one Christmas card with me, addressed to ‘my friend on the Committee’. Apparently these are all put in a basket and then we each draw one out [presumably not the one we just put in!] This is, quite sensibly, a way of ensuring we all get a card, but we only have to give one each, rather than two dozen. It is a large committee. But I got the distinct impression that this is a Significant Event [mainly because at least 6 people made a point of telling me about the custom!] So clearly we are not meant to hand out a cheap Poundshop greeting! What to do?

I began by turning the WWDP logo into a cross stitch design

wwdopDSCF4920

This logo represents women kneeling in prayer all round the globe – N,S, E, W, with the cross at the centre.

I mounted my stitching onto a tag made from Christmas paper, and put a hole and eyelet at the top. [I frayed the edge of the rectangle of Aida, and stuck it down using double sided tape]

Then I made four more pieces of stitching, with the themes Love, Joy, Peace and Hope and mounted them on tags too. I wrote appropriate Bible verses on the reverse.

DSCF4917DSCF4918

Then I took a piece of card, which had a different Christmas print on each side. It measured 30cm x 15cm. I folded up the bottom 4cm, then did ‘concertina' folds, to get a card 7½ x 11cm, which had four pockets. I strengthened the pockets using very narrow strips of double sided tape down the edges and the folds.

I stuck the Logo tag on the front, and tucked the other tags inside.

DSCF4916

I wrote a greeting on two pieces of paper to put on the back

DSCF4919

And finally attached ribbons with brads so that the card can be tied neatly to slip in the envelope

DSCF4913

I hope ‘my friend’ will like her card, and have a happy Christmas

[yes, I have checked, we do put our own name on it. If we signed it ‘from your friend on Committee’ it feels rather like a 10 year old sending an anonymous Valentine!]

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Angela - that is a Christmas card and a half - it is beautiful, and so much thought and time put into it - your friend on the committee who receives that should treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous - please could I pinch some of this for our church family card at church? (Unless I run out of time and then it'll be my paper cut nativity!)
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can Lynn! It is my design, not copyrighted, and I am happy to share it if it can be used to bless others xx

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful card! You have put so much thought and effort into it as well. I am sure that the recipient will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a stunning card - it'll be a real blessing for the recipient :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well I can say you went above and beyond with that card, really well done. It will be a very lucky person who picks out your card.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will make someone very happy indeed!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely card i am sure the person who gets that will be chuffed
    regards tess

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that will do nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There certainly won't be another card as beautifully made as yours...and I foresee that there will be lots of copies made!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful. Whoever receives it is a very lucky person. I hope they will treasure it for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great card. I should think the person receiving it will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a thoughtful gift-card. Someone will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Thanks so much for providing the tutorial!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is beautiful! I'm sure whoever receives it will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!