Monday 11 March 2019

Come Into The Garden, Maud*


The winter is over; the rains have stopped; the flowers are in bloom. This is the time for singing - or so it says in the Song of Solomon. 
The word Lent comes from the old English lencten meaning lengthen. The days are getting longer, we're less than a fortnight from the Spring Equinox. I wandered out into my much neglected garden early in the morning [OK, confession, I had forgotten the washing, which had been pegged out on the whirlygig dryer all night] 
I could not believe how many charming flowers there were, blooming prettily! 






















It was early, so not all the pink-rimmed day's eyes were open
But where did the pink and blue hyacinths spring from?
In the front garden, larger daisies, muscari and a heather
Relieved to see the wild garlic flourishing, and the rosemary 
My bay has revived [I thought it had died in last summer's extreme heat]
Daffodils- large, miniature, and in bud.
I have a challenge for you. Last year I was rootling about in the shed, and I found a packet of seeds "Mixed herbs- sprinkle onto a patch of ground and you will have herbs all summer" it said "reduced to 25p". Like Nellie Forbush in South Pacific, I'm a cock-eyed optimist, and so I filled some small tubs with compost and broadcast the seeds, watered, waited and watched.
Result - not the lush crops of parsley, coriander, marjoram etc I'd hoped for. Lots of different leaves though. We occasionally plucked one and nibbled it, hoping to recognise the herby taste. "I suspect most of these are weeds" said Bob "Look at that, it's definitely a dandelion" [and declined my offer to make frugal dandelion soup]
But one particular plant in the tubs has gone crazy. It has produced pretty flowers on long stems- and I don't care if it is a weed, I like it. But please, can anyone among you who knows about gardening and does it properly, identify this for me?
.
I think the flowers are delicate and pretty - but I would like to give it a name
The blossom on the tree is past its best - the recent high winds covered the front grass with pink confetti! But I am grateful for the beauty of nature.
The Japanese have a phrase, 'shrinrin-yoku' meaning 'forest-bathing'. They have recognised that spending time in the open air among plants and trees has a truly beneficial effect on health and well-being, and set up 48 'therapy trails' to encourage people to go outside. Just as the British Government promoted the "five-a-day" campaign to get us eating our veggies, so the Japanese spent a fortune urging people to go outside and get healthy.  
*I don't think I know anyone called Maud, but my Grandfather used to sing this Victorian song sometimes. My Gran used to chide him, and say "Why is he persuading her to go into the garden at night? Up to no good if you ask me!"







4 comments:

  1. I LOVED that song! We sang it in my youth choir in 4part harmony. It was my favourite!! No idea what the flowers are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My granny was called Maud, and she was a great gardener. She would take cuttings, pop them in a bucket to "plant up later", forget about them, and a year later they'd be growing happily in the bucket. We loved her garden, a carefully cultivated wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those not the flowers of rocket ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought they looked like rocket as well. I don't know about the winter being over - we are on a weather alert in Devon - storm Gareth or some such nonsense. Stop naming the weather!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!