Tuesday 5 March 2019

Simplifying Things

After a lot of dithering, I have decided on my 2019 Lent Challenge. I found it on the Happily Homegrown blog. It is a 40-bags-in-40-days challenge. I like it because it is manageable. You spend just 10 minutes a day on this task [more if you can] and focus on one area at a time. Unlike the KonMari method, where every garment you own is brought into one room and sorted, this scheme breaks it down into manageable steps.
Here's the chart

1.  Bags and Briefcases 2. Medicine Cabinet 
3.  Make-up, Skin/Hair Care 4. Jewelry 
5.  Linen Closet 6. Understairs Closet
7.  Storage Closet 8. Laundry Supplies
9.  Junk Drawer 10. Under the sinks 
11. Under the beds, bedside tables 12. Hall & Porch
13. Books, Magazines, DVDs 14. Food Storage Containers 
15. Travel Mugs and Water Bottles 16. Kitchen Gadgets 
17. Spice Rack 18. Table tops
19. Counter tops 20. Top of fridge, anything held on by a magnet  
21. Cabinet 22. Pantry 
23. Fridge 24. Freezer 
25. Cleaning Supplies 26. Desk/Filing Cabinet 
27. Sewing/Knitting crafts 28. Bathroom 
29. Papercrafts  30. Living Room 
31. Clothing  32. Master Bedroom 
33. Spare Bedrooms 34. Kitchen 
35. Dining Room 36. Loft
37. Kids Crafts/Teaching materials 38. Car & bike
39. All flat surfaces 40.Any one area that needs more TLC

I've modified it slightly from the original - I do not have a basement, or children's toys/bedrooms. And the garage is Bob's domain. I am not going to work strictly in order either - if it is a Sunday, or a very busy day, I shall find a task which fits in well. But I have boxes and bags ready for CS donations. 
I'll let you know how I get on!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an exciting challenge, Angela. I am trying to declutter 31 items, this month. 40 bags would be tough for me to do, I think, but, I'm looking forward to seeing how you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m doing the Forty things in Forty Days Challenge which friends have sent me on FB. Also using the Wee Box for SCIAF which my friend always gives me. As my personal challenge to myself was no new clothes this year, I probably won’t be doing any more clothes decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very comprehensive list! I'm going for 40 items in 40 days - supposed to be to give away/charity shop but I might try an extra 40 of junk to throw away as well. When I shared it on Facebook, one friend said she could manage that, she had at least 40 sweet wrappers on her desk... 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great idea! Keeps things manageable but still allows you to accomplish quite a bit by the end of the 40 days. And don't forget - Sundays don't count in Lent so you get those days "off" anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!