Sunday 5 February 2023

Going Forward...

Christmas 2021, my best friend Chris gave me a "My Painted Bear" calendar, from the artist Naomi Horner [website here] I loved the pictures and encouraging words each month. And I was really disciplined, I did not look ahead to see what was coming, nor check out the chart of all the months on the back! Knowing how much I appreciated it, Chris repeated the gift this year. [thank you!!]I've just this week turned over to the February picture. But here is the January one...
On Friday I was reading something, and the piece ended with the words "You don't have to get it perfect, just get it going..."
It is too easy to fall into a state of inertia because we are not confident about the final outcome. 
Sometimes we need to accept that we cannot know the end of something from the beginning, it's a matter of faith and trust. And maybe just one, then two 'baby steps' will set us off in the right direction, and gradually, eventually, we will get there.
Over 40 years ago, Scottish singer Lena Martell reached #1 in the UK charts for three weeks, with a Kris Kristofferson/Marijohn Wilkin song. It became one of the most requested songs on the Hospital Radio networks. [watch it here] Maybe you think it's a bit cheesy - but  the lyrics were written by Marijohn as she battled with alcoholism, written from the heart. 
A lot of blogposts I've read recently have been from people who are struggling with life. Hang in there, my friends...

One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking of You
Just give me the strength
To do every day what I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time


13 comments:

  1. This song was popular at the time my grandmother died and as she had lived with us since I was a year old her death had a huge impact on me. This song was the one I sang constantly at that time for comfort and did for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice - thank you x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cartoon and I well remember that sweet song. It's still so true.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That song was the favourite of my late father-in-law and it always reminds me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, one step at a time, one day at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely song and the message is very true!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!