Wednesday 8 February 2023

The Lady Macbeth Spot

Many years ago, I blogged about a wardrobe inconvenience which I refer to as The Midriff Moth - when you find tiny holes on your teeshirt somewhere near where your belt buckle is. Well, I have another thing to report on now, The Lady Macbeth Spot. You will recall that the demented lady kept washing her hands over and over to remove a spot of blood - but it continued to trouble her. "Out, Damn'd spot!" she cries.


I got a rather nice Joules jumper recently. 100% cotton, with the cute little hare badge down by the left hip. Only £2.50 in a CS. "There's a stain on the front, so it is reduced" said the assistant. "I'll wash it" I said.[hubris!]

And I did. It seemed clean and spotless. I folded it and put it away. Then I wore it "Mum, have you been resting your coffee cup on your chest?" asked Liz. The stain was back!
A round grey ring. I washed it again. The ring appeared to have disappeared when the jumper was pegged out to dry. But once completely dry, it was back. On Monday I wore the top with a pink scarf carefully tied to cover the mark! But I do not want to wear the scarf every time. 
I shall try again - this time draping just the front part of the top over a bowl and applying some serious stain remover to the ring. But I really cannot be doing with a recalcitrant ring.
We had a Lady Macbeth Spot on the lounge carpet in Ferndown. We got rid of it eventually - the arrival of carpet moths meant the whole carpet went, to be replaced by laminate. I do not wish to replace the whole jumper.I wonder what the stain is, and why it seems to disappear when wet, only to reappear on drying?







25 comments:

  1. Could it be some kind of greasy stain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How odd!!! Is it oil of some sort? Why is it ring-shaped though??
    If it doesnt go, can you use your embroidery machine to create a fancy ring pattern border to cover it? Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kirsten - a grease stain would disappear when wet.
    Hope you can sort it

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are on Instagram or FBook, check out Nancy Birtwhistle. She has some fantastic cleaning, cooking, gardening tips and all are eco friendly and therefore kind to us and the planet. Gail :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to suggest just this, she is brilliant at stain removal. I have all three of her books.

      Delete
    2. I do not know this woman.i will check her out. Thank you

      Delete
  5. You might have to get creative with some embroidery or applique if you can't get the spot out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea....a flower maybe...or a sun

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, but it was surprisingly ineffective

      Delete
  7. haven't a clue......that was a very helpful comment now wasn't it....LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's always nice to hear from you, Gill!

      Delete
  8. I'm familiar with this sort of problem - it's very irritating and unfortunately not easily remedied. Could you wear some chunky beads or a scarf to detract from the stain?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing a scarf works. But I don't always want to have a scarf round my neck!

      Delete
  9. You'll just have to wear your jumper wet. It'll be lovely and cool in Summer, but a bit chilly in Winter.

    There ... you knew I'd have the solution to the stain problem didn't you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too old for wet tee shirt competitions!!!!

      Delete
  10. I swear by white spirit for all stain removal. Just dab it on to stain. A bit smelly at first but odour evaporates in fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try washing up liquid mixed with soap powder to make a paste. Rub well into the stain, leave for a while, rinse well and wash as normal.
    This is the way mechanics get their oily hands clean.
    If that fails, does Bob have any oily hand cleaner in the lathe palace? Swarfega or similar?
    Good luck! Let us know what, if anything, works! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good idea for shifting grease. Thanks

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!