Monday 14 August 2023

Walk Like An Egyptian

Kirsten warned me that the 'Flat Gift' for this month's embroidery was not that flat and would be arriving separately. Rosie was delighted to be present when the delivery arrioved, and helped with the unboxing
Not one. but two Egyptian Walking Onions. What?! I hear you ask. As Rosie is fond of saying "It's in the name, Grandma"
Onions - members of the allium family [like garlic, shallots etc]
Egyptian - this is because it is believed that the Romani people brought these plants to Europe from the Indian subcontinent. And the travelling Romani were mistakenly thought to be from Egypt [hence the term Gypsy]
Walking- these onions do not grow underground, but form little bulbils at the top of the stem. When these get too heavy, they flop down, and the bulbils take root, a short distance from the mother plant, and form a new plant. And this continues, and the onion plants appear to 'walk across' the garden.
They are also called tree onions [I guess because they look like little trees] or topsetting onions. 
I decided that rather than risk my raised bed being overrun [walked over?] by these. I would plant them in a trough, giving them room to grow and travel just a little. K was surprised I had two in my parcel - she'd ordered three plants, one for herself and two to give away, and didn't know my plant package contained a pair, nestling together. Thanks K - we wait and see what happens.
Rosie promptly declared that we should give them names, "Anubis and Basted, Grandma!" She's been reading about the Egyptian Gods, and thought the jackal and the cat would be good monikers for these. I shall label them. 
They are apparently a cross between a Welsh onion and a shallot - and can be used in cooking as regular onions.
I am old enough to remember seeing "Wilson, Keppel and Betty" doing their Egyptian Dance on "The Good Old Days" in the early 1960s. TV was much simpler back then. 
They were a rather eccentric act, performing for around 35 years - only retiring when they were nearly 70 [the frist 'Betty' retired much sooner, and her daughter took over from her] I can't see Betty, or The Bangles performing on Strictly. 
I will report on the progress of A&B...


16 comments:

  1. What a fun gift! I'm so glad that Rosie was there to help you unbox the onion plants and to name them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe Keppel was the uncle of my first mother in law. She was a Keppel before she married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Was MIL also related to the Keppels who were grandparents to Queen Camilla?

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic gift and I love Rosie’s names for the onions. Looking forward to seeing their progress. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. A and B should do well, although I feel they might need more room in the future as soon you will have C, D,E and F. We had them in the front bed back in Wales and they really did walk along into lots of other places.

    A lovely 'not-flat' gift. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I have a couple of spare troughs, should I put this one between two others, and encourage a line of them?

      Delete
  5. What a great gift! We shall expect progress on their journey!! Greetings as I set out on mine. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  6. In kindergarten we were taught to 'walk like an Egypton' and thought we werre hot stuff in 1956! I was ready to do that walk when the Bangles cam along!!
    Cool onion, too. I'd never heard of them.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👣👣👣🧅🌰🧅🌰👣👣👣

      Delete
  7. You can eat them before the bulblets appear to (try) to control the spread, according to one video. But can you eat them if they have names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can manage to eat named vegetables. I'd struggle if we had a family pig though ...

      Delete
  8. That "flat gift" must have been quite a surprise, and fun for Rosie to help open the package. I have never heard of "Walking Onions". I have plenty of plants, wanted and unwanted that seem to walk all over my garden, but not onions!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!