Saturday 20 April 2024

Catching The Post

A little bit of a moan. On Thursday, a card arrived stating that there was a package, at Dereham Parcels Office, and I needed to pay £1.50. I could either 

  1. pay and collect in person [providing evidence of name and address] 
  2. pay online and have it delivered,
  3. put stamps to £1.50 on the card, post it, and parcel would be delivered.
  4. ignore it
I decided against 4 [it might be a birthday present]

I have stamps, and was about to choose option 3, when I realised the address on the card was wrong - not Corner stones,  but Corner House,  and it said Road not Close.
What about Option 2 - no this is no good, as the online form asked me to 'fill in the address as on the card' - which was wrong [and no postcode either] and the identification number had not been filled in. So it's option 1. 
"I will go in to the sorting office this afternoon or Friday" I said to Bob. Except there were three possible options for the opening times listed online. I rang our lovely village postmistress. "I'm sorry, I can't tell you, Angela" she apologised. "They have sent me two different sets of times - they either open at 8 or 9, and close at  either 10 or 12"
I went at 9.30 Friday figuring that way I might get in.
And yes the office was open.
I passed the card through the slot. The woman didn't ask for any identification. She found the "This is too thick and too heavy- you should have more stamps on this" I politely pointed out I was not the sender, but the recipient, and gave her the cash. "Could I just say, I had real problems finding out your opening times. How do you know when the office is open?" "Its 8-10 weekdays, 8-12 Saturdays" "Yes, but how does anyone know that?" and she actually said "Well I know because I work here, and also there's a sign on the wall" "But online, you have three sets of times listed online, and when I rang my village post office, I was told they had been sent two different lists" "That's not my fault" "I am not saying it is, but can you ask somebody higher up to sort it out, please?"
When I got outside, I looked at the envelope - the person who sent it had written my address correctly, legibly and  included the postcode. Whoever filled in the card at the Sorting Office hadn't even bothered to get those address details correct. Oh well, at least I got my birthday gift, eventually.
My daffs outside are coming to an end, and the wind blew this one over - I picked it, trimmed the stalk and stuck it in a bottle to brighten the kitchen. Four small blooms on one stalk. It is a variety called "Cheerfulness"- I decided to adopt this attitude rather than be grumpy all day. 
And life gradually got much better as the day progressed! The rain stopped, the sun came out, and I went into Norwich and met lots of lovely people.




28 comments:

  1. Infuriating! Well done for getting over such an irritating start to the day. I love her reply 'I know because I work here'; you couldn't make it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that must have been very confusing to figure out when the office was open! And they are open for only two hours on weekdays? I'm glad you were able to get your package.
    The flowers are beautiful and I'm glad that the day improved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very restricted hours, especially for people at work

      Delete
  3. Sounds about parr for the course for modern Britain - negotiating anything 'official' is like a cross between Kafka and Monty Python!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good description [at least the package did not contain a dead parrot!]

      Delete
  4. It’s the same here with the post office collection-sometimes it’s only open for a random hour and you have to take a chance. We have a great postman who will pop things round the back if it looks as if we will be at home later in the day ie the motorhome is on the drive so he knows we aren’t away. Happy weekend! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear sister sent their lovely WI calendar to all of the family for Christmas, with too little postage. It was a short walk and a £1 fee plus the extra postage for us, but my brother had to pay to park.
    One for the family memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope she didn't find out. I'd have been mortified if it was me.

      Delete
    2. It was quite funny. It could have become a regular event.

      Delete
  6. You'll never believe it but I got one of those cards yesterday! I paid the £1.50 they asked for through PayPal since delivery office is a distance away. I've no idea what the item is but I was expecting a package of cleaning refills for which the postage is free!! I shall be irked if it is said package and even more irked if it happens again! Are the postmen on commission for every grey card they deliver??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the people delivering the cards wish they didn't have to - nobody wants to receive them

      Delete
  7. Such lovely flowers and I can see why they made your mood lift. I find nature can do that every time. The person who "dealt" with the problem sounds a bit like "The computer says no!" . Oh dear no wonder the Post Office is failing so badly. As you say the positives out of this outweigh the negatives. I'm glad you got your birthday present eventually. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a random selection of daffodil and narcissus bulbs- and I think these are the best of the bunch

      Delete
  8. Government bureaucracy at it's finest! We have the same issues with our post offices here in the States. Like your bit of cheerfulness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cheerful countenance brings gladnessto the heart

      Delete
  9. That's so irritating! She sounded very rude too! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she had already had a difficult morning

      Delete
  10. Oh dear - so many obvious problems with the Post Office at the moment aren't there? They just need to use a bit of common sense but it seems that's in short supply. Good for you cheering yourself up, I would probably still be grumbling!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not surprised people do not want to work for them

      Delete
  11. Post office gets more and more incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you finally got your gift! I have to smile about the attitude, we lived in a town where the hardware store ( a giant chain store) had a sign on the wall " to serve you better , this store is now self service". Honestly! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  13. It never ceases to amaze me how much can go wrong in the 21st century with all our knowledge and expertise and fancy technology. I think things worked better in the so called "good old days". There may not have been e-mail but I believe there was once a time when you could mail a postcard in the morning and the recipient would get it in the afternoon! Now we are lucky if a letter mailed "priority" and paid for as such, gets to the recipient in good time!
    Love the daffodils, there is always something to be cheerful for!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!