Thursday 25 April 2024

What I Bought In Walsingham


There is always an issue when I go out for the day - what will it cost? And some venues may feel very expensive, and there are "add-ons" like parking, food etc. Our Walsingham trip was not too bad - although we could have spent a lot of money if we'd wanted...
Little Walsingham is a very small place, and everywhere was in reasonable walking distance, we paid £4 for our parking [I do like this sign from another religious venue]
We arrived and parked at 9.30am. After our first visit [the Orthodox Church] we walked back to the village centre, and visited the "Read and Digest" Tearoom. by the old village Pump.
This was a quirky little venue - with an amazing selection of teas, and delicious sausage rolls [plus cakes, scones, coffees and more] We each had two generously sized rolls [his with mustard seeds, mine with red onion] made from local pork, with a good pastry crust, and locally sourced chutney. The teapots each held 2½ cups of tea. The bill was about £15 - for a very filling breakfast.
We then walked up to the Catholic Chapel. We passed another tea and gift shop [closed on Mondays] 
I was particularly taken with the three metal magi on a rocking donkey which was in the window. My photo did not come out [too many reflections] but I found this online. Cute, but too expensive!
Then we visited the "Let The Children Live!"Charity Shop. I have never visited a CS with two rails of ecclesiastical vestments before! Surplices and stoles and scarves etc...And everything at very low prices- books were 4 for £1. I found two I liked, a Pie Minister Cookbook, and an Ian Rankin detective one I'd not read. I couldn't see anything else I wanted, so gave the lady £1 anyway,
There will be pies, Bob will be happy! I didn't buy any candles, or cards saying "I prayed for you at Walsingham", which were on sale in all the churches we visited. I think God hears our prayers wherever we are, and location is not as important as the action of doing it. In the CofE church there were racks of small prayer cards, with a sign saying these were all free, so I took 2 for special friends. 
And then we walked back to the car. I bought my plaque in the Shrine Shop [£12.50]
We drove back via Fakenham and stopped at the big Sue Ryder CS. Bob got a bit of audio gear and I bought a craft book [to be reviewed later] total spend there £7.
We spent around £33 in Walsingham, but that included breakfast - and then there was the CS spend on the way home. The plaque was a special treat to celebrate 3 years of retirement at Cornerstones.
It was lovely to have a morning out together - we've been quite busy with other stuff in recent days. We were home by 2 for a late sandwich lunch.
And I gained a lot from the day which cost me nothing...So I am very happy.

25 comments:

  1. What a lovely day out, too far for me to visit from Dorset but it sounds wonderful. I purchased a similar plaque many years ago from Hillfield Friary in Dorset intending to put in beside my front door, it’s still in its box, I have no idea how to fix it to the wall, but I do look at it from time to time and remember my day at The Friary, a lovely peaceful place. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should find a "handy" friend to hang it for you. It would take just minutes for somebody with the right tools

      Delete
    2. All you need is a hammer and some masonry nails.

      Delete
    3. Please get it put up , it will make you happy when you see it daily. Let us know! JanF

      Delete
    4. Bob and I have agreed where it should go. But he's busy at the minute with a couple of other things!

      Delete
  2. Costs are always a concern, aren't they? But, it sounds like you had a lovely day out and kept your spending to a reasonable amount. :) What kind of pie will you make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still choosing... I'm thinking I ought to do some rough puff pastry

      Delete
  3. Sounds a marvellous day out You mention a plaque...was this in another post or is it that tea eye chart? Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday's post has a picture of the terracotta peace plaque

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a lovely day together. Gosh you have been retired for three years at Cornerstones, hasn't time gone quickly? Days together are very important I think but equally it is good to have separate interests. I love the parking sign. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time goes so fast - last week was full of "separate" activities (him - Men's Shed, Hospice, me - craft fair, sewing) but Monday was our time together. I cannot find out where that parking sign is, but it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely day out. Can't believe you've been retired for 3 years (same here)! Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - but I am endeavouring to make the most of each day while I still can

      Delete
  7. When I visited Walsingham it was a lovely day. my daughter and son in law visit it regularly and so took me to some lovely little shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday is NOT a good day - maybe the shops are all open Saturdays and Sundays for the visiting pilgrims, so many close on Mondays.

      Delete
  8. It all sounds lovely and you stuck to a reasonable budget, win win.
    I was about to ask about the plaque too then saw you'd already answered that question, I'll go and take a look, I missed reading blogs yesterday.
    The pie book looks interesting, men love pies don't they?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pies too(and have the waistline to prove it!)

      Delete
  9. A perfect day out and I am very envious of those sausage rolls with tea! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love pie too, but I tend not to do potatoes as its too much now with pastry. I'm trying not to buy anything as we are hoping to move. Sold STC and downsizing, wish us luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope it goes smoothly for you 😊❤️🙏

      Delete
  11. Lovely day out and Norrie would love the pies too. I’ve been at Scottish Parliament today for a reception and am now tired as it took us two hours to get home due to a diversion and heavy traffic. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had fun at the SP (although it didn't sound like a very happy place today, listening to the news!)

      Delete
  12. I'm drooling at the photo of the sausage rolls! I liked your second plaque that you showed yesterday. Terracotta is so attractive, and it is a lovely memento to celebrate your 3 years of retirement at Cornerstones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely recommend Black Dog Tiles as lovely gifts. Sadly I think they only ship within the UK

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!