Sunday 28 April 2024

Iconic

On Monday, the first place of worship we visited was St Seraphim's . This is an amazing Orthodox chapel with an intriguing history. At the beginning of the 20th century, many Russians came to Britain because of the Revolution, and the subsequent persecution of various religious groups. A little orthodox chapel was built adjoining the Anglican one, and became a place of pilgrimage for many. But sixty years ago, two priests felt these people needed their own shrine - Dr Beeching had just closed the railway - so they took over the station and converted it into a chapel. Fr David and his colleague Leon were iconographers- they made their living by painting and selling icons - and thus were able to finance and maintain the chapel.
With the golden dome, it doesn't look much like a railway station. Behind is the old stationmaster's house [with a goose!] and behind that, the "Quiet Garden"
There was much to discover about the painting of icons, and what they symbolise . I learned a new word riza which is Russian for robe. Often a family would own a beautifully painted and gilded icon - but in order to add honour to it, they would put a special metal cover over it - with apertures to reveal the hands and faces of the people portrayed. Here is an example of an icon without and with its riza
This work would add significantly to the value of the piece. [If you are unsure about the differences between reverence and worship, do check Bushlady's helpful explanation at the end of this recent post]
Having spent time in the chapel, and being amazed at the many British Saints [lots in East Anglia, it seems] we then went outside.
Passing the house, and goose, we walked down the garden. It is designed to be an area for prayer and reflection, and has a helpful guide, marking out particular spots to stop and think.
There were various structures- like this willow arbour, and the Bee Pergola [top row of photos - on the right] This had a bee hotel, and a nod to St Spiridon who wears a hat like a beeskep!
The guide leaflet says "[this place] reflects a pilgrimage in miniature, allowing space for you to contemplate past journeys, and the journeys ahead of you [much like pilgrims who used this old railway station in years gone by]
...humans cannot separate themselves from the natural world, and it is the place most turned to when in need of healing and restoration. People of all faiths and none retreat to the natural world.
The Orthodox faith has a strong tradition of reflecting the natural world through its icons - many saints in icons are identifiable by the animals or plants [beside them] This shed is where the railwaymen kept their oils and lamps safely. It is flanked by two heritage apple trees, planted in Victorian times. You are invited to consider all of those who have found rest in this garden. I thought too of the warmth and light found in the shed, and the faithful provision of God, year on year, of the harvest of fruit.
The path through the long, narrow garden goes down a gentle slope, then up to a viewpoint. You are encouraged to look back at the journey on which you have come, both literally and spiritually. I found this really meaningful, thinking of my own journey, as I begin my 70th year. My path has had ups and downs - but the overall way has been upwards. Along the way I have found warmth in loving relationships [the oil shed], sweetness in the blessings of life [the honey bees] and fruitfulness in my life and family[the apple trees] And I am grateful to God, for the sense of his presence with me every step of the way - even when I sometimes stepped off the path a little. If this had been the only place I visited on my day in Walsingham it would have been enough - the rest was just a lovely extra blessing.
I recall a favourite old hymn
Green pastures are before me,
which yet I have not seen
Bright skies will soon be o'er me
Where the dark clouds have been
My hope I cannot measure
My path to life is free
My Saviour has my treasure
And He will walk with me
May your Sunday be peaceful and blessed







18 comments:

  1. I remember many years ago stumbling upon an amazing church in Norwich. It was pre-reformation so had started Roman Catholic but of course became C of E in the time of Henry VIII. It had later been declared redundant by the C of E and been acquired by the Orthodox church so there were at least three traditions visible. . The iconostasis there was amazing. Do you know of it and whether it is still open?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have checked this out. I think you mean the Church of St John the Theologian, just behind the Catholic Cathedral. It was founded by the same Father David mentioned in my post. I shall have to try and visit it when I'm in Norwich sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place to visit and thanks for sharing the information about it. Brenton on the Repair Shop was saving a marriage mirror last week and the frame and backing were similar to the riza. As always, he did a stunning job of restoring a precious piece of history. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched last week's RS yet. Breton is an amazingly gifted silversmith

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely post thank you. Very calming and reflective for Sunday. One of my cousins married a Russian girl and their wedding was in a Russian Orthodox church in London. It was quite magical and very interesting, extremely ornate interior. May your Sunday be peaceful and blessed too. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely Testimony, Thank you x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reminding me of one of my favorite hymns. It is so calming to read aloud in times of stress.
    What a special place you found. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Heavenly Love Abiding was a favourite of my Grandmother. We sang it at her funeral ❤️

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this visit in so much detail, it is really interesting and inspiring. I have come across a lot of icons in Orthodox chapels and churches in Bulgaria, and there are artists in Canada who paint them prayerfully. I didn't know about the riza although I have seen and purchased small icons both with and without them. The garden sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are similar to the icons I was telling you about last week. They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first school was a Roman Catholic convent, although my family were CofE. We were allowed to use the chapel at break times and it had several statues of saints. It's quite hard to find the words to express the difference between venerating and revering a Saint which us not at all the same as worshipping God but I know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your visit to this place of worship. I like the garden being a place of reflection and meditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so beautifully quiet (apart from. the birdsong)

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!