Friday 26 April 2024

Grandma's Glove Puppets

The teaser from a fortnight ago, a stack of fabric, and now a little bit more revealed. 
It was all Rosie's idea. When we visited Swaffham Museum in the February Half Term - specifically so she could go in the Carter Room and revel in the Egyptian Antiquities - she absolutely adored the place. When the assistant said "Would you do an evaluation form with me?" our Little Miss Enthusiasm agreed. Final question [Grandma holds her breath anxiously, what will she say this time?] Rosie said the Museum was brilliant, and she liked the fact there were things in the rooms for smaller children to play with. But she liked the Carter Room best, and there was nothing in there for her little sister - "I was in there the longest and if Jess was with us, she would have been bored"
The lady admitted there wasn't anything for Littl'uns. What would Rosie suggest? Rosie said Dressing-up Clothes "We had some, I think they were put away during Covid Lockdown. Anything else?"
"Egyptian Glove Puppets, my little sister loves glove puppets" And the lady said that was a very good idea, but where could they get Egyptian Glove Puppets. "Grandma!?!" declared Rosie, very confidently. And thus I found myself agreeing to make them a set of puppets to be delivered after Easter.
I did my research, finding photos of Howard Carter, the Egyptologist, Lord Carnarvon, who financed it all, and statues of the boy King Tut [I didn't feel I should use his death mask!] Lord C always wore a hat with a wide brim and flat top, he had a big moustache. HC had a smaller hat and smaller moustache. To even things up a bit, I chose two women - Nefertiti and Hatshepsut.
I drew out some designs, and made a cardboard puppet template. Then I created the puppets from felt. My new machine was brilliant for stitching elaborate designs on garments, gold trimmings and more. And I made a bag to carry them all in. This week, Bob and I took them over to the Museum. Tim the Trustee and his staff were quite delighted.
We went to the Carter Room, and he showed me that the costumes are back in use - and also took photos of the puppets. He said they'd like to have the new puppets out on display, but don't have a stand for them. "I could make one" said my Shed Man!



Tim had asked if Rosie would be coming with us to deliver them. I explained she was back at school in London. So they gave me a gift for her, because she was the inspiration for the puppets. I did an "unboxing" over WhatsApp, that evening. Rosie recognised it instantly. She is quite thrilled with the model of Bastet the Egyptian Cat God. I thought that was extremely kind of them, to encourage a child like that. Swaffham Museum is independent, run by community volunteers, on a shoestring budget. 

I love the way I could use so many of the embroidery patterns already installed in my machine, I think Nefertiti is my favourite, but I am pleased with Carnarvon's hat too. And the inbuilt font meant I could stitch names on the backs [co-ordinating fabrics from one of my curtain sample books]


Have you ever made puppets?










34 comments:

  1. They are brilliant! What a great thing to do for that museum! Ang Almond's legacy will live on in that place! I love how Rosie volunteered you! And then Bob volunteered too! Do we get to see his stands?
    Has Rosie ever read 'Ra, the (great) cat detective?' It's a book I have at school which is fun- set in Egypt- told from indolent cat's view point! Kz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check with R about the Ra book. Thank you Kezzie.

      Delete
  2. They are brilliant! Clever you and Rosie.
    Have you thought of making some for the gift shop? Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Angela how wonderful. And gold star 🌟 to Rosie for suggesting such good ideas she is a star herself. When I was working we used glove puppets a lot. We had particular success with a little boy, a refugee from war torn Kosovo who had witnessed the murder of his uncle and had become an elective mute. With support from his parents and a bilingual aid worker we used glove puppets to re-enact every day situations and through the puppets he talked back to them. I bet the museum were thrilled. Gold star to you and your new sewing machine as well and Bob for the stand. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppets are a wonderful teaching aid _- especially in helping children who have suffered such trauma. As you say, they often feel safer talking to the puppet not to the adult

      Delete
  4. You and Rosie make a formidable team. What a splendid idea from Rosie, trusting that her Grandma would be able to carry out the idea. The puppets are amazing and I’m sure they will have lots of use! Well done to you both and to Bob for volunteering to make a stand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a wonderful project! You and Rosie make a great team! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blessed to have such caring grand children

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful gift made by a grandma on behalf of her very thoughtful and articulate granddaughter. I’m sure the puppets will be much used and enjoyed. And yes, I have made many puppets from a variety of material over the years. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are absolutely brilliant!! As are Rosie & Bob! What generosity towards the Museum, & theirs to Rosie. I was also fascinated by Ancient Egypt & loved teaching it to classes when I was in primary education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great subject to teach, the children love it

      Delete
  8. Rosie might like this book. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1134364
    Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow , another recommendation for Egyptian cat books. I'll pass this on

      Delete
  9. The puppets are brilliantly done. You and Bob are so generous of heart and spirit--and you're modeling for Rosie a meaningful life of generosity, creativity, and curiosity for learning. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We adults must never forget children are watching us, and so modelling good behaviour is important 👍❤️

      Delete
  10. Rosie did well responding to the questions asked of her. She is very observant.
    Yes, I made a set of finger puppets about 12 years ago for a friend who was studying to be an earlychildhood teacher. She needed some resources to aid storytelling. Puppets were my idea, so I got to make them. I actually enjoyed the process and the response when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a thoughtful, useful gift for your friend. Finger puppets have the advantage of being small and easy to store - and especially popular with tiny hands

      Delete
  11. Once again , you did a wonderful thing! The puppets are fantastic and I am so glad they sent a gift for Rosie. She is a smart gal for sure. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela. You are amazing, such talent. I wouldn't know where to start. The museum is very lucky to have the puppets. I thought you were going to say Rosie had volunteered you to make dressing up clothes😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect she might have done, had they not already had a set!

      Delete
  13. Well, I certainly had to laugh when I read that Rosie had volunteered you! But you are obviously the perfect craftswoman to create lovely finger puppets, and your new machine is just what you needed. So kind of them to send Rosie a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The machine is earning its keep, and yes the Museum staff were very kind

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous puppets, great joint effort by your family.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  16. How brilliant. I think they will be taking you on the staff soon, and maybe Rosie too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How kind of Rosie to think about what Jess would like. That is so sweet of her. Consideration for others is not instinctive in everyone, but it is in her. Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really caring girl, she's always looked out for her little sister

      Delete
  18. Wow. Rosie’s assured confidence that you could (and would!) make these lovely puppets is a blessing indeed. And the puppets are really incredible. How wonderful that you could help the museum enhance its programming. The world needs more of you and more Rosies,, too.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!