I love puzzles, and do a daily killer sudoku each morning - a 3 x 3 grid into which I have to fit numbers. But this week I have done a different sudoku challenge- one for packing my suitcase! We are going on holiday to Cyprus. I needed to pack the minimal number of garments for the week. Following the example of my daughters I've used the sudoku method. You choose 9 garments which will combine to make 27 outfits. 3 tops, 3 bottoms, 3 pairs of shoes = 3 x 3 x 3 =27
Blues and whites abound. But I am not taking jeans. They are currently way too snug for hot weather. I don't want shorts. This was what I've ended up with-
4 tops - white linen, white cotton tee, blue cotton tee, striped tee
3 bottoms - blue linen trousers, pale blue/white stripe linen trousers, cotton pattern skirt,
2 shoes - sandals and trainers [the latter for clambering over ruins etc]
This should be 4 x 3 x 2 = 24.
This should be 4 x 3 x 2 = 24.
Plenty for a week [not that I'd wear the stripes with the floral skirt]
But I did add an extra outfit for fancy evenings out, a new black cotton maxi dress with heeled blue shoes, and silver accessories [chosen by Liz and Rosie] and a blue cardi in case it gets breezy [ suggested by Steph]
Plus of course sunhat, pjs, and swimsuit [and underwear]
The only item specially purchased for this trip was the dress- and that was paid for with my M&S reward vouchers.
Have you ever used the Sudoku packing method?
Do you buy new clothes for your holiday?
Do you buy new clothes for your holiday?




I had never heard of it - useful tip. I often wear a long-sleeved linen shirt unbuttoned as a jacket over a t shirt in summer
ReplyDeleteYou're a Shacket wearer!
DeleteWell done for such efficient packing! I struggle with packing! I like your colourscheme and choices of garments. Will we get outfit combo pictures? I do hope so!
ReplyDeleteHave an amazing time in Cyprus!
I plan to be having to much fun to take selfies
DeleteWhat a great method to pack. I will definitely try it. I don't specifically buy anything new to go away, I have enough clothes to see me out I think and only buy things like a new coat/mac when "worn out", or a new outfit for a wedding. One holiday to the Amalfi coast a few years ago my luggage was broken into at Naples Airport on the return trip home, stupidly I had packed a jewellery roll in my case and it was taken. Several things were gifts from my husband and one necklace which had been my Grans. Now I only take costume jewellery and anything precious like good earrings and rings stay on me. Wishing you a wonderful holiday. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteI have avoided bringing "precious" jewellery. I lost a lot of my 'special" jewellery from a home burglary when I'd left it behind whilst going away for Christmas . You cannot win!
DeleteWhat great ideas to make like easier.
ReplyDeleteWon’t it be lovely to visit Cyprus before winter sets in here.
Alison in Devon x
I'm very excited 😊
DeleteI will try this method of packing. It looks efficient , something I'm usually poor at! Temperatures will vary by location on my trip, so I'll need layers.
ReplyDeleteLayers always useful
DeleteCyprus should be lovely at this time of year. I don't buy anything clotheswise to take away, but have been known to make the odd charity shop purchase. But I have a friend who always buys new packs of knickers to take away. Xx
ReplyDeleteI didn't know it was called the Sudoku method but I do use a similar plan to choose holiday clothes. Just laying them out on my bed and making sure all the tops go with all the bottoms, and choosing two pairs of shoes. Oh, and yes you could definitely wear the stripey top with that skirt, it contains all of the same colours. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job! I hope the trip is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteJanF
You seem to have met the packing challenge really well. We have given up on checked baggage since our flights are always 3 leg ones with a long haul flight across the pond. The limitations of travelling with one carry on plus one personal item are difficult, and we don't use huge cases that cram the overhead bins. There is usually an official meal of some kind, so a decent dress is required. However the advantages of being able to skip from one flight to another after clearing customs on entry (baggage needed for this), and not having the risk of arriving without most clothing, makes it worthwhile. We've been through that!
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time I've heard of Sudoku packing! I like the items you've chosen to pack.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a really good combination of clothes, Hope you have a lovely holiday!
ReplyDelete