Saturday, 19 September 2026

Tap, Tap!

We went down to Kent on Wednesday evening. On Thursday it was the Remembrance and Thanksgiving Service for Spurgeon's College - the wonderful place where Bob trained for ministry, which closed very suddenly last summer. We both really wanted to attend this event - but it was a day long programme, 10-4, and we felt it would be too much to drive there and back in a day. Knowing that our good friends Andrew and Eleanor would be going, we asked them if we could B&B on the Wednesday night. 

"Of course" they said immediately "You can have the house to yourselves, we won't be there!" They were a few miles away, looking after the grandchildren whist Mum and Dad away [the things we Grans do for our families...]

So after Bob got back from Men's Shed we loaded the car and drove south. I'd packed two lunchboxes and made a flask of coffee. We stopped in a layby on the A11, to enjoy our picnic.

We diverted to IKEA Lakeside, and I finally purchased new rugs for our bedroom. Our current ones are 17 years old. I wanted something fresher, and I am moving the originals into the back bedroom. All these rugs are machine washable which I like.

We arrived in Biggin Hill, and found the doorkey in the Hidden Place! After visiting the loo, I tried to fill the kettle. I struggled. The water flow kept stopping and starting. Bob came into the kitchen. "Oh I was looking at ones similar to that in IKEA!" he said. The sort with a pull out spray. I declared I didn't want one!

On the other hand, I did covet Eleanor's Bayeux Teatowel! She had left it out especially for me to look at. 

We had a good night's sleep and left early next morning for Croydon. I will say more about the event later. It was a large venue

I was not sure about the motion sensor lights in the Ladies loo. If you sat down and sat still, they went off very quickly, plunging you into Stygian Gloom. And Bob wondered why the Gent's loo had a hand dryer and a hairdryer!

It was good to meet so many old friends. But some conversations were slightly bizarre.
A group of us were talking about holidays, and people had certainly been to some interesting locations. I said "We have just spent a week in Cyprus staying with friends"
Another woman in the group suddenly said "Iceland - if you are over 60 and visit Iceland, then on a Tuesday you get 10% off" The younger ones looked baffled, so I said "You do mean the Frozen Food Shop, not the country, don't you? ..."
We got home around 9pm. It had been a good day.
Andf I got to sit with Eleanor at lunch and catch up with all her news. She was greatly amused by the Tap antics - and explained it is touch sensitive - the water only flows if you keep your hand on the tap. You have to tap the tap!


18 comments:

  1. When we had our new Magnet kitchen the tap supplied was not the one we ordered and it dribbled - a few annoying glugs of water continued to run for a few seconds after the tap was turned off. Magnet were reluctant to change it until I posted a video of it on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Name and shame" I'm glad it was sorted in the end🚰

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad the reunion went well. It must have been a very bittersweet day for you both. The course I trained on closed down several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite emotional at times, but I am glad we were able to be there

      Delete
  3. Sound a good time with friends.

    Even taps are getting too complicated - I keep seeing the ads for the ones with boiling, sparkling water etc and think "just another thing to go wrong!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the multiple water taps. They seem expensive to maintain as well

      Delete
  4. Glad you were able to go to the closing event and meet some good friends. I don’t like the tap in our new bathroom at all but I just keep hoping we’ll become better friends! Very wet here this morning so Norrie is in his workshop and I’m about to start sewing for the charity. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loathed the bath taps here since 2009, but fortunately I usually have a shower!

      Delete
  5. Norfolk County Council had them in the staff kitchens. Instant boiling water. I disliked them so I just took my own flask of tea so I never had to go near the kitchen. I found boiling water spewing out of a tap quite alarming in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am not convinced I'd manage a boiling tap properly.

      Delete
    2. Someone told me a story just yesterday about the water boiler at their place of work used for making tea and coffee. The person in charge of it just used to top it up and switch it on every day. He went on holiday and the stand-in decided to empty it and refill with fresh water and as he tipped it out, out came a very well boiled mouse.
      Aaaarghhhh..........

      Delete
    3. Ooh horrid! I once went to work in a school where they'd had a kitchen inspection the previous year. The inspectors insisted the oil in the big deep fat fryer needed changing. They found a deep fried rat!!

      Delete
  6. I used to tell myself I wouldn't be an old person thinking about the "good old days", but recently I have become aware that a lot of the things that improved for us in the past, eventually became more and more complicated. I sometimes long for simpler times, when we could access a website without being asked about "cookies", and when a phone was just a phone! I don't know what it is like in the UK, but here in Canada if you go to buy lightbulbs, there are so many different styles and types and strengths that it becomes a major event to find what you need. Oh well, compared to finding boiled mice and deep fried rats in public kitchens, light bulb comparison is not so bad to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kitchen tap is tall and has a hose type attachment, useful for swilling the sink down. You obviously had a lovely time meeting your friends even though it was for a sad occasion, a shame they couldn’t keep the College going. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of our educational establishments are struggling right now . Brexit has meant a huge drop.in overseas students which has drastically reduced the income for lots of colleges

      Delete
  8. A lot of 'modern conveniences' seem to have become very inconvenient!

    I'm glad you had a good couple of days with friends, even though it was a bit of a sad occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much laughter together lightened the sadness

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!