It was so easy to do, it became really popular, and was revived in the 1930's. Over the years it came to be known as a Granny Square. [Because it was easy, even if you had failing eyesight, and thrifty Grannies like to use up odd bits of yarn] In 1967 I was 12, and the Beatles released "Magical Mystery Tour" - and Paul McCartney was wearing a Granny Square Waistcoat [or 'vest' as they say in the USA]
I did learn to crochet in Girl's Brigade, but never enjoyed it as much as knitting. Fifteen years ago, I visited Mags in Ireland, and the women at her library crochet group [Hookery in the Bookery] rekindled my interest.
This summer, Rosie has learned to hook, and is happily making friendship bracelets. She spent all summer in her charity crochet sunflower hat
Katie loves mixing and matching her squares and her bright colours.
Maybe I could reinterpret one of her jumper patterns with my knitted squares [they tend to be sightly more muted colours, I am not really into dayglo greens, luminous lemons and eye-popping pinks!






I have been mulling over adapting my current faux patchwork knitted cardigan to make a patchwork jumper from the squares for a month or so; I must get my hands on that book!
ReplyDelete