Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Home Again,. Tired But Happy

So they carefully transported the tapestry to England and set it up in the British Museum. And in a darkened room, thousands of people filed past to look at the worked stitched almost a thousand years ago by diligent Englishwomen.

And yesterday, Bob and I were able to see it. It was all that I had hoped and more. [that is an artist's impression - the queue was continuous, no gaps whatsoever!]

I will give a full report soon - but thank you so much for all the encouragements, the lovely messages, that beautiful jug, the article from the New Yorker, and so many other kind words and actions.
I wish you could have all come with me. When I have come down to earth again I will endeavour to share my thoughts.
More tickets go on sale in week or so. My top tips if you have not yet booked...
  • log on early in the morning so you get in the system [which does work well] 
  • have your preferred dates to hand, when your 'window of opportunity' for booking arrives. I suggest having two or three possibles
  • book tickets for as early morning if you can - as the day goes on, the queue builds up, so late visitors may not get in at all!
  • make a list of the things you want to see, on a card, so you don't miss it out as you go round [you can't go back if you miss something along the route]
  • Buy at least one souvenir, even if it is only a postcard! But you do not need to buy the items costing ££££s
I got to see all but one item on my list - and that wasn't a particularly crucial item. 
I am quite tired from all the excitement, and there are a lot of other tasks to be completed now I am back 

Thank you Bob for doing the driving. Thank you too, to my sister in law Barbara, with whom we stayed from Saturday till Tuesday afternoon. We visited other places over the weekend, and on Sunday evening enjoyed a meal at the home of my niece and her family.
All very very good fun. 

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience, thank you for sharing it. Did you know they have a complete embroidered replica in Reading? I might get to see that some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Victorian one done by Mrs Wardle and the ladies of Leek. My sister in law and I are planning to visit it sometime

      Delete
  2. So glad it didn't disappoint. I have tickets for the end of October. I too am ridiculously excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as I did. Even if you arrive a little early for your allotted time, go to the queue by the front gate. If there are spaces ahead of you, they will send you in early. We arrived at 10 for 10.20 and were sent in.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed your day. I am off to see it on Friday, courtesy of my lovely daughter. I didn't realise that the gallery is in darkness. Thanks for mentioning that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see my comment to Jacquie above, regarding the queue.

      Delete
  4. Yes thank you for sharing. I am so glad it was all you hoped it would be. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!