Sunday, 27 September 2026

Setting Sail

27th September 1066 - On this day, 960 years ago, William set sail with his army, from Normandy, to come and fight the English.  His flagship The Mora had been a personal gift from his wife Matilda

Most of the fleet were smaller Viking longships. William's ships carried 7,000 or more men, and very importantly up to 2,000 horses for the knights. Horses don't like boats, and it must have been difficult to get them on and off--the Bayeux Tapestry shows them being made to jump over the sides of the ships. The ships also carried armour, weapons, shields and supplies, probably including salty bacon, cheese, hard-baked bread and certainly barrels of wine. William drank wine with his breakfast on the day of the landing. They sailed for about twelve hours under cover of darkness, arriving at Pevensey Bay on Thursday morning.
They came equipped for fighting a war.  

This week I am in London, to look at that ancient tapestry - and I think of those crossing the Channel today. In smaller boats - many fleeing war, looking for safety and sanctuary.
The boats are much more fragile, harder to steer, often overloaded, but their passengers are desperate. Today's travellers come in peace, and I pray for them, and for those who will help them safely to shore.
O God, whose power and mercy hold the seas, we lift up to you all those who travel today in small and vulnerable boats.

Protect those who face the cold winds, deep waters, and dark nights in search of safety and a new beginning. Be a quiet calm amid their fear, and guide them safely away from peril to a place of welcome, dignity, and peace.

Strengthen the hands of rescuers and keep watch over all who wander in distress upon the deep. Soften our hearts to show compassion, and lead the nations toward justice and understanding.

Amen.


16 comments:

  1. Well said and thank you for saying the prayer so publicly. People must be desperate to risk their lives in such a way. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that. Thank you also on behalf of the RNLI Lifeboat crews, mostly volunteers, who risk their lives trying to save others. They are having a hard time from some thoughtless people. I know you will have an incredible time seeing the Tapestry. Take care Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read the contrast between the two groups who sailed across the seas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some things the same, some so different

      Delete
  4. Hope you will love the tapestry. You almost need to keep going back for bits you might have missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see how quickly they move the queue along (Bob keeps muttering about his school trip to Russia when they shuffled round Lenin's tomb!)

      Delete
  5. I look forward to reading of your experience of the exhibition. I'd rather like to see the tapestry (or embroidery as a F/friend reminded me this morning) but I hate crowds and queues so am putting off booking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw it in France they allowed us to go through a second time which was lovely. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you really enjoy your opportunity to see the wonderful tapestry! God bless all those who are so desperate that they take to the sea leaving everything behind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting to see it!! And a great prayer for those who risk their lives to escape a harder fate elsewhere. I hope they stay safe too. X

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!