A huge thank you to all the kind people who have shared their lovely homegrown tomatoes with us this summer. I have concluded that gardeners fall into two groups - the diligent waterers [like Brian] and the less conscientious [like me]. I started off determined to raise a crop of crimson globes, but once the water butts were empty and I was making frequent overheated journeys with the can from tap to pot I lost enthusiasm.
But despite that, the fridge has been well filled with lovely donations - huge scarlet beefsteak and golden 'Texas toms' and tiny ruby cherries. The lettuce patch revived after the rains, so I was able to make 'regular' salads. But I knew we couldn't eat all the tomatoes before they were past their best. What to do?
Ann suggested a pie, and Liz mentioned a Tarte Tatin just as I was thinking about pastry. The legend is that at the famous Tatin Hotel in the Loire valley, one of the sisters absent-mindedly made an apple tart upside down, flipped it out of the pan, and into the history books. [I am not convinced by this story at all]
But what works for apples ought to work for tomatoes. Joy the Baker advises cooking them whole. I cut mine into slices [smaller ones in half] Arranging them in my Le Creuset pan, big slices first then filling gaps with smaller ½ toms I sweated them off for a little while with a little butter and olive oil. Having sprinkled salt, strewn basil leaves, and drizzled balsamic vinegar, I patted a circle of puff pastry on top [Co-op pre rolled sheet from chilled section] 16 minutes in a hot oven, then I flipped it over. Cheese on half of it [for Bob] and under the grill till that melted. Served with a red&white cabbage/red onion/carrot coleslaw. Quick and easy to make and very toothsome....
Italians call them pomo d'oro which translates to golden apples, as the first fruits brought to Europe from the Americas were yellow. We Brits call them tomatoes from the Aztec word tomatl
The Latin name is lycopersicon which translates as wolf peach and that comes from a German legend saying that you could use these fruity to summon werewolves! [You may know the word lycopene, that helpful antioxidant found in tomatoes, and also pink grapefruit]
Whatever you call them, big or small, red or yellow. tomatoes are full of good nutrients. I'm truly grateful to my lovely neighbours for their generosity.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE TOMATO RECIPE?



A tip I got from watching the fabulous Mary Berry is : before turning the tart onto a plate/baking sheet, tip out the juices into a pan and boil them to produce a thick syrup then pour over - now upturned - tart. Saves splashing caramel all over your kitchen or worse, onto your hands.
ReplyDeleteGood tip, thank you
DeleteAs we can't post comments, you'll never know my favourite recipe. This is a trial comment, well you never know it might get through. 😄
ReplyDeleteGoogle appear to have sorted out the glitch. Awaiting you recipe...
Delete🍅
I've invested in a porous hose. The water goes where it is needed and nowhere else. I think food crops can be watered (I have an exemption because I have a Blue Badge.)
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there was a Blue Badge exemption!
DeleteOhhh, I've got a blue badge. I must check if I'm exempted here.
Delete👍
DeleteHaha... it seemingly did. So, it's a garlicky tomato and onion pasta sauce. 😀
ReplyDelete🧅🍅🧅🍅🧅 sounds gorgeous
DeleteMine too
Deletewell I like mine warm from the vine, with slices of mozzarella and home grown basil. Very simple but delicious. We are enjoying heritage varieties as we were given some free plants to try. Wondering where I put my tarte tatin dish to try out a tomato version!
ReplyDeleteWarm is always better than fridge temp 🍅🍅🍅
DeleteThis looks delectable!!!! I'm very pleased with my tomatoes so far this year although I still regret not pinching out the side shoot when it branched!!
ReplyDeleteI may have overdone the pinching...
DeleteMy stomach isn’t fond of tomatoes but I use them in slow cooking for flavour. Catriona
ReplyDeleteMy SIL cannot eat them at all
DeleteThat tomato tarte recipe sounds good, I've got LOTS of tomatoes, but like you sorting them out, eating the better ones and cooking and freezing the less good with some garlic and herbs. Enjoy your holiday. Xx
ReplyDelete🍅 🍅 🍅 🍅 🍅
DeleteI admire the way you try new ideas and produce wonderful dishes!
ReplyDelete👍 🥧 🍲 🍅
Delete