I have no problem with the word pick - it is useful in so many contexts
- pick and mix [Woolworths, Saturday morning, sixpence worth]
- pick a card [any card]
- pick the locks [never as easy as it seems on TV]
- pick of the pops [with Alan Freeman et al]
- pick your own [strawberries, apples, pumpkins etc]
- pick up the tab [thank you, that's kind of you]
- pick up and knit [that gets more stitches on the needle]
- pick up the pieces [and move on...]
- pick at your food [no go on, eat it!]
- pick your nose- or teeth [but in private, please]
- pick a quarrel [no, don't!]
- pick a pocket [or two]
But please don't expect me to get excited about PICKY BITS - I do not like this term! It has been everywhere this summer!In Spain they have tapas, in the Eastern
Mediterranean, meze, in Scandinavia smörgåsbord , French
friends enjoy l'apero and tartines
Picky bits just sound so much less appetising. It's the meal made from
"what is in the fridge when the family need feeding - and there's not
enough of any one item to go round". Three slices of a quiche, some
leftover cooked potatoes and two cold cooked sausages, half a bag of salad
leaves, some crisps, and a wedge of cheese. Plus a part baked baguette lurking
at the back of the bread bin for emergencies, and some yogurts [the less
popular flavours from the multipack which always get left till last!] All
piled onto the table with a stack of plates, and some cutlery in the big enamel
mug.
Yes I have served a meal like this. But I am not going to call it Picky Bits. And I'm not sure about Sainbury's Picky Bits Offers...definitely not following Waitrose's suggestion of buying their Cantabrian
Anchovies, Greek Halkidiki Olives, and Iberico Cheese Involtinis. [what are these ?]
How do you feel about picky bits?


I am glad I'm not the only one who dislikes this dreadful term!
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteI really dislike the term 'picky bits' too it sounds too much like something that someone has picked out of their nose!! Yuck
ReplyDelete👃 😒
DeleteMy daughter is a great fan of them but usually all carefully created from the supermarket deli counters! Spanish tapas type food being a favourite. Catriona
ReplyDeleteA carefully chosen selection deserves a "proper" name imho
DeleteI hate it as a description, it sets my teeth on edge, so pleased I am not alone. Jill x
ReplyDelete👍😊
DeleteDitto....I'm happy with 'Leftovers'. Some of my favourite meals have been leftovers and on a really good day there might be a starter, main course and pudding - in very small portions, obviously - but a feast nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteThree courses is a real treat.
DeleteI'm another one who hates that term. It's another example of 'dumbing down' and I won't buy from those 'ranges'.
ReplyDelete🙂👍
DeleteI have never heard or seen the expression. If I had it would not feature in my life. Simple.
ReplyDelete🙂
DeleteWe just say leftovers. I love leftover meals and often cook a bit extra just to have leftovers. Picky bits sounds horrible not appetizing at all. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteLeftovers meals are excellent
DeleteFrightful ! We always refer to them as Leftovers. Our language is gradually becoming eroded. I'm surprised Waitrose succumbed!
ReplyDeleteStandards are slipping all over the place!
DeleteSounds disgusting. I prefer the word 'leftovers'.
ReplyDelete👍🏼
DeleteI've never heard that term before BUT we are have a bit of this and that for dinner tonight. From Shirley in OZ
ReplyDelete"A Bit Of This And That" has an air of mystery to it!
DeleteI have read the term primarily on British blogs, so, I'm assuming it is mainly a British term. Charcuterie boards are quite popular over here, but they are not leftovers. I call leftovers just that - leftovers. Sometimes, however, leftovers tend to get made over into "fried rice" or "kottu roti" (using tortillas in lieu of proper roti) at my house. :)
ReplyDeleteCharcuterie boards are considered and planned. Tortillas are a great for wrapping up and using leftovers
DeleteWe’re posh we are, we like a ‘boo-fay’ 😁
ReplyDeleteHelen
🤣🤣 I remember being very excited as a child, when we had an invitation to a church event, followed by a buffet - except I thought it was pronounced buff-ette!
DeleteI’ve heard this term and guessing it’s sprung up from Tik Tok or similar……..largely it seems to sum up the image of lots of packets and tubs being opened and flung on a coffee table so that people can help themselves and binge watch the latest TV trend at the same time……..I think my Mum would have called it a buffet…….
ReplyDeleteSorry for my cynicism, I should be kinder, every generation invents stuff don’t they…..😀
Alison in Devon x
See Helen's remark above. Yes, every generation invents their own thing - but I do lament the way that the 'family meal' around the table has become a thing of the past for so many folk.
DeleteLeft-overs... every time to struggle to even buy anything labelled 'picky bits'. I thought I was just being a bit picky over what I called my food...
ReplyDeleteIt seems so odd to see the term in Waitrose...
DeleteI dont mind it; for me, definitely no worse than the 'fridge scrape' or 'fridge rubble' soup that I've heard people refer to. That really makes me nauseous.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid I do make Fridge Scrape Soup sometimes.
DeleteMy Mum always called it fridge scrape, fortunately we don't get many leftovers in this house. Xx
ReplyDeletePlease do not serve it to Scarlet! (above)
DeleteWe call it 'Bread and Butter Tea'. A loaf of bread is buttered and everything that can go on it or in it is put on the table, jam, ham, cheese, salad, crisps, pickles etc and everyone helps themselves and no on judges who has what in a sandwich! Great fun when the children are all involved.
ReplyDeleteThat is a fun variation
DeleteHello Angela, I’m with you on ‘Collation’, it lends a certain elegance. Carole from Durham.
ReplyDeleteThank you Carole. People rarely consider Cornerstones a place of elegance!
DeleteI steer clear of the picky bits selection - they usually add up to be expensive bits. I do have one evening in the week when I don't cook, when I've been shopping and don't feel like it! I serve buddha bowls, bits and pieces from the fridge arranged nicely!
ReplyDeleteBuddha bowls look so attractive and appetising
DeletePicky Bits? Whatever is "the old country" coming to? It sounds like something invented by AI. Even "Take your pick" would sound more civilized. "Bits and Pieces" would give a shout out to the Dave Clark Five! Perhaps "Medley" would serve to describe all of these.
ReplyDelete🤣🤣🤣 Dave Clark Five? Are you feeling glad all over?
Delete