Aye Aye Cap'n is an ancient phrase from the British Navy, meaning Yes, YES, Captain, we hear your orders! It is also part of the SpongeBob Song [my grandchildren understand this show. I cannot make head nor tail of it]
An AyeAye is a long-fingered lemur from Madagascar
An 'eyelet' in knitting is made by pairing an increase [usually yarn over] with a decrease [k2tog] so that the total number of stitches remains the same- but a small, neat hole is produced! This eyelet block arrived a couple of days ago.
"I guess this pattern is a first step into knitting
lace.
"Looking back at blocks I made probably ten years ago, it seems I did several eyelet blocks of increasing complexity. I can see why it is will become important to remember to do ‘left-leaning’ and ‘right-leaning’ decreases when doing lots of eyelets close together… now, the question is, how brave am I? and how much patience and concentration can I muster? These weren’t too taxing, so perhaps I will persist with eyelets…”
K sent me the top, turquoise square, which goes well with my stack of existing squares. I think perhaps I should try an eyelet pattern next time - I have no experience of right and left leaning eyelets.Kirsten included a cute little Rocking Robin kit [National Trust] as the flat gift. Quite apposite as at the moment I am rather caught up with Christmassy preparations for reasons I will not go into here!
Can you knit eyelets?
Do you understand SpongeBob? [does anyone over the age of 16?]



My knitting is more than likely to have 'unexplained and unwanted eyelets!'
ReplyDeleteπ§Άπππ π§Ά
DeleteI think the writers of SpongeBob must have written it under the influence of illegal substances.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you there, sister!!
DeleteNo and no! Looks very attractive though!
ReplyDeleteπ
DeleteI have never knitted eyelets, I am not a proficient knitter, just simple patterns for me, and any "eyelets" that appear are accidental.π I don't really enjoy knitting. I do not understand Sponge Bob at all! Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteπ€£π€£π
DeleteYes many an eyelet knitted here (not always in symmetry but I tried!). Spongebob's got nothing on Upsy-Daisy singing and prancing through the woods for surrealism and don't mention The Teletubbies!
ReplyDeleteYou are so right there. I read in the paper that the BBC may be bringing back Playschool. It wont be the same without Floella or Brian Cant though....
DeleteI enjoy knitting lace type stitches and have knitted several baby shawls in my lifetime-the last one was 18 years ago for my son-in-law’s nephew. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI love the traditional shawls made by ladies in the Fair Isles
Deletenope, eyelets are too complicated for me. Our grandsons love the song Rockin Robin, always play that when I am babysitting..........
ReplyDeleteππ❤️
Delete'Can you knit eyelets?' No I can't and even your description of how to is totally baffling to me, a lifelong non-knitter. No wonder my gran gave up on teaching me and moved me quickly over to crochet. I have never seen an Aye Aye, how very cute in a gremlin-like way.
ReplyDeleteKirsten's descriptions of left leaning and right leaning sound bizarrely political. I suspect I'm an independent green knitter with democratic liberal tendencies...
DeleteLace knitting makes me nervous which is a bit silly, I should just ‘ grasp the nettle ‘ π
ReplyDeleteThe squares are very pretty.
Alison in Devon x
I have always avoided lace knitting too. There are a number of lace patterns in our 200 squares book. I too must be brave!
ReplyDeleteWe must!!!
DeleteI didn’t understand Sponge Bob first time round, so will have to go through it again with Christopher. Buttonholes were about my limit in knitting, never attempted complicated patterns. Xx
ReplyDeleteMy buttonholes are dreadful!! Usually too big, so I had to put in a stitch or two to keep them the right size.
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased you prefer the turquoise one, Ang. I love the one you sent me!
ReplyDeleteπ
DeleteI've never knitted eyelets but I have knitted in that way to produce lacy designs. I remember a scarf pattern years ago.
ReplyDeleteπ π§Ά π
DeleteI love the eyelets. I used them when I knitted the curtains for the porch (which I still haven't put up) to thread the cord through to hang them. My attention wanders, though, so I don't think that I could be trusted with them, and I certainly couldn't make them as neat as yours.
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing a book called The Aye-Aye and I, by Gerald Durrell, but I don't remember reading it.
I gave up on kids' shows when bear was tiny. In the Night Garden was obviously written under the influence of seriously hardcore drugs.
π€£π€£π€£
DeleteYes to eyelets and lace. The different directions of leaning are achieved by how the decreases are made - knit two together (right leaning) vs slip slip knit (left leaning). :) I do like the SpongeBob song, but, haven't watched many of the shows since my daughter didn't like it.
ReplyDeleteThank you. That makes sense to me. Your daughter is wise!!
Delete