A couple of weeks ago we were at a Village Yard Sale. I picked up a spare Pyrex Bowl for 10p and a second melamine bowl for 20p. The first a simple 1litre pudding bowl - I have one already - this is a useful size for steamed puds etc. The second is an iconic bowl I have admired since we first married...
In 2009, my SIL gave me these two melamine bowls from M&S, 2.5 litre and 1.5 litre sizes. I use them all the time. I love them, and their cherry red brightness enlivens the kitchen.
But why is so special about this new bowl? Simply that it is a Danish design, from the Rosti Company, and called The Margrethe Bowl. It has the most wonderful history, it was first made in 1950...
The designer was a guy called Sigvard Bernadotte, and his dad was King of Sweden. His niece was Princess Margrethe of Denmark, daughter of King Frederik IX. When the forward thinking Danes changed the rules of succession so that the teenage princess became next in line. S got permission to name this design "The Margrethe Bowl". The design was so good, most Danish women wanted one for their kitchen. In 1972. Margarethe became Queen, reigning for 52 years, till her abdication in 2024. She was a gifted, and popular monarch.
Can you imagine a British designer producing a piece of kitchenware called Camilla?Over the last 70+ years, more than 25 million Margrethe Bowls have been sold. It features in design museums, and even got onto a postage stamp. Its useful handle, efficient pouring lip, and high sides, make it useful for batter and cake making. It is now available in 15 colours, plus a steel version. Mine is about 35 years old, I think. Like my two M&S melamine bowls, it has lost its rubber non-slip ring at the base [but that hasn't proved a problem with the other two] I do like Scandi design, and I think this will prove a useful addition to my kitchen. Yes, IKEA do make a similar shape bowl in cheaper plastic, but I love the retro orange colour and 'Rosti' printed on the base of mine! Now I am even more determined to visit Copenhagen!
What item would it be, do you think?




I have two of those bowls, both bought in John Lewis sales at least thirty years ago, in different sizes, one yellow, one red. They are very robust and my favourite mixing bowls.
ReplyDeleteThey do seem very long lasting
DeleteWhat an amazing history! And better to buy used!!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely. Ps hope the car is going well
DeleteWow, these look really nice! I'm new to collecting Tupperwares myself so I get the feeling.
ReplyDelete👍😀
DeleteI have several of these, and they are brilliant. Be careful with them though, as they will break if dropped, even if not on a hard surface. The rubber rings and lids can be bought separately online from Harts of Stur (and probably other retailers) if you need any.
ReplyDeleteI love harts of stur!
DeleteMaybe the Camilla-tureen or the Consort-mé could become best sellers if they were sturdy and got the job done.
ReplyDeleteIs the Queen sturdy, and getting the job done,?? Or do you consider her "useful and beautiful" as William Morris said
DeleteOver 25 million sold, that is truly astonishing isn't it? JanF
ReplyDelete🩵
DeleteThat was a very lucky find. I picked up some white dinner plates and pasta bowls for free as a family were emptying their late parent's house and were just putting items out as giveaways. I have a feeling Queen Camilla likes a G&T, so probably a very nice glass! Xx
ReplyDeleteThe glass idea is a good one 🥂
DeleteThank you for sharing the history behind your new bowl. I'm sure you will use it often.
ReplyDelete👍
Delete