I have a strange holiday habit - I like wandering round foreign supermarkets, and buying interesting packets to bring home. I think that I may have passed this on to Liz, who brought back some Speculoos Pancake Mix, so the girls could recreate their Dutch holiday breakfasts once back in England.
Bob and I had a happy meander round the Supermarket in Paphos on Wednesday.
Wendy's favourite shop is Sklavenitis, which she always refers to as 'ScabbyKnees' - its slogan is "As cheap as anywhere else"
Here is what we purchased
- A jar of tahini, a basic ingredient which I shall use for dips and salad dressings, as well as in sweet dishes.
- A large tin of Royal Baking Powder. Just because I love these tins*. Now produced in Spain where Royal is a synonym for baking powder, this brand began in Longhorsley near Newcastle, in the factory of Thomas Bell. He called his brand Bell's Royal and shortened it to Be-Ro.
- Some Cyprus Delight. Similar to the Turkish stuff, but a little denser, with different flavours. Some varieties have PG status [protected geographical]
- White beans.Because I ate a bowl of fasolia . I loved it and want to make some more at home
- Olive Oil. Bob's choice. Agios Georgios [St George] is a very popular premium brand. And Bob liked the cool cuboid tin!
- "Premium Nuts" We are not convinced everything in the bag is a nut, there are some rectangular biscuit looking pieces. But it will be portioned out as a TV snack [so someone does not eat the entire bag at one sitting!]
Finally a pot of salt. I know, you can buy salt easily in the UK, and it is not especially Cypriot. But every place where we had a meal had these cute little sailor pots standing on the table. I splurged 30p on this jolly little chap.
Today [August 15th] is celebrated in Cyprus by the Greek Orthodox believers as the Feast of the Domition Of The Virgin Mary [In the Roman Catholic church it is called The Assumption, and marked on 28th August] Traditionally it is the day when they eat Arkanata Bread Rolls.
I did not know about the feasting when I picked a up a bag of these rusks in the supermarket, just that they were uniquely Cypriot. The name comes from the Greek word for labour because their overnight production is very laborious, using ground fermented chickpeas and ginger in boiling water . And they are baked twice- once as soft round roll, and then a second time to make the roll into a dry, long lasting rusk. Unfortunately despite very careful packing, we got home to find our pack has been reduced to chunks and crumbs! Never mind. We can consume them with dips and dunk them in soups.Do you ever buy interesting foods in foreign supermarkets?
*this tin has bolos fofos printed on it. I have no idea what it means. I tried various Spanish Translation programmes and got "Flabby Bowling Balls" can anyone out there explain???





I rarely travel outside this country (the last time I did was in 1990), but, I do love to go to different ethnic grocery stores here, and when I do, I almost always buy some interesting food items. :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I visit Liz in London,I love to walk round Olis on the Walworth Road
DeleteIt means fluffy cakes.
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU!! That makes perfect sense 🎂 🎂 🎂 I shall try to remember that one
DeleteThe recipe for fasiolas looks interesting... you must have had plenty of room in your cases to bring all this back!
ReplyDeleteWendy asked me to take her some books and CDs, so on the return trip I knew I had space for my groceries
DeleteI always gravitate to local shops and markets. I do it in different parts of the UK too. Jill x
ReplyDeleteI love a good street market!
DeleteFlabby Bowling Balls - 😂
ReplyDeleteI like your purchases!
Would Bob be the consumer of an entire bag of nuts??
I love bringing back things from abroad too. Particularly snacks like crisps or interesting tea varieties or maybe chocolate or cereal!
Bob is extremely fond of snacks, both sweet and savoury. But if he is engrossed in watching the Grand Prix on TV, he can eat 3 whole bags of nuts or crisps without realising it!
Delete