Five hundred years ago, the beautiful island of Cyprus was under the control of the Venetians - it was a trading hub where ships from all round the Mediterranean docked to buy and sell goods. The island was rich in salt, copper, olives, wheat... and the wealthy Venetians increased their fortunes as they bought and sold all sorts of produce.
These Italians left their mark, particularly trough their cuisine. One important dish was stifado which is a corruption of the mediaeval Venetian word stufado meaning a slow cooked stew. These people introduced the idea of tightly covered pots on slow burning stoves, which produced a rich meaty stew. Usually made with beef, this dish can use lamb, pork, venison, rabbit or tripe! The onions can be shallots or small onions. The tomatoes, red wine, and spices give it a rich fragrance - and the recipe is so simple.
Wendy made us this recipe for us a few years ago, when they still lived in Norfolk. On holiday recently, I enjoyed it in one of their favourite dining spots.
On Monday I made it myself.
I did mine in the slo-cooker, and it cooked itself whilst we were out at the Chapel. [We ended our Day Of Prayer with a brief service of worship and praise together.] Recipe here on the BBC Good Food Site. It really tasted good, and I served it in a bowl with a slice of home made bread alongside [Bob had some more of the red wine to accompany his meal]
The recipe serves 6 - so I portioned it out to make 3 x two-person meals.
For the first time in ages, Bob got out his guitar and he and Dan played, so we had live music for the songs. Twenty people were there which was great, so encouraging.
I am not sure what some of them thought about the ageing bearded rocker strumming away happily at the front in his ancient biker tee-shirt.


I might have a go at that beef stifado.
ReplyDeleteA good recipe to portion and freeze, something I know you would appreciate in the winter months. I think I will find it easy to reheat and serve with some veg for a satisfying Sunday lunch after a busy morning at church.
DeleteThat stifado looks delicious, and what a good idea to finish it in the slow cooker. Lovely to have an edible souvenir of your holiday 😋
ReplyDeleteBob really looks the part!
By December he is hoping to look properly Santa-like.🎅 Ho Ho Ho 🎅
DeleteGo Bob you can never keep a musician down. The stifado sounds right up my street. Slow cookers are great when a busy day is planned, lovely to come home to a delicious meal, making the house smell wonderful. When I still worked I used the slow cooker a lot. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteI use mine more than I expected to in retirement - but it is SO useful for making a big dish which I can portion and freeze. And very economical
DeleteI love slow cooker meals. Wonderful post and photos. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦
ReplyDelete🩷 Thank you Linda, I am enjoying your blog posts
DeleteStifado sounds very tasty. I really dont cook so much now, but that appeals to me, and I could freeze prtions maybe.
ReplyDeleteIt freezes and reheats well. One afternoon of prep can yield half a dozen portions for the future
DeleteI'm loving the image of Bob the Biker playing the guitar in the chapel. :) Mary
ReplyDelete(PS - Blogger decided I couldn't sign in under my google account despite several attempts. Sigh.)
Blogger continues to be a bit of a pain! It was great to see Bob back with his guitar
DeleteWhat a great Santa he will make! JanF
ReplyDelete🎅😊👍
DeleteThe Rocking Rev. was born for the stage!!I love my slow cooker. It's like having someone cook for you! Stews are great with dumplings or Yorkshire puds!
ReplyDelete😊👍💙
DeleteSlow Cookers are so useful and you can make more meals and save cooking another time. I persuaded Stepmum to buy a small one, so she could have a stew cooking without too much faff. Xx
ReplyDeleteThe fact that they cant boil dry is such a blessing- esp if you get held up and are late home
DeleteWhat a fabulous photo of Bob and his guitar! How lovely that you were able to recreate a dish from your lovely holiday. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI am becoming a great fan of allspice.
DeleteOne of the blessings of our long winters is being able to enjoy stews of any kind. That sounds like a rich, delicious recipe! So neat to see Bob in biker shirt playing the guitar and singing. I hope this continues, it's a healthy activity! (safer than the bike!)
ReplyDelete🎸 👍 🏍️
DeleteThat stew looks amazing. The BBC Good Food is a wonderful place for recipes, thank you for reminding me.
ReplyDeleteI bet Bob sounded amazing.
The Goid Food recipes are clearly written, with a helpful picture of "what it should look like"
DeleteThank you for sharing the recipe link, Angela.
ReplyDeleteYou can use other meats, not just beef
Delete