Monday, 14 September 2026

THIS Gran Read The Book...

... And The Book Was Good!

NO SPOILERS HERE!

I am usually very careful about spending money - and if it is a book, then most of the time, I borrow from the library first, then decide if I want it. Then try and find a secondhand copy...But not with this one - I preordered [as my delayed plane sat on the tarmac at Stansted last week - it made me feel much happier, and helped calm my fear-of-flying]

Julia does not disappoint [and Axel's illustrations are really good] Twenty years after the mouse first stepped out into the deep, dark wood, the story continues. It is witty, and clever, and full of the wonderful rhyming couplets which are Ms Donaldson's forte. And I love it! I opened the book, and read it through [out loud] whilst Bob was trying to concentrate on something else.
The book is dedicated to her husband, who died two years ago. [he was, by all accounts, a lovely man. A paediatric consultant, his young patients called him Dr Gruffalo]

Thank you Julia - I shall read this to the grandchildren, and anybody else who expresses the slightest interest. Definitely 5 stars

*****


14 comments:

  1. You are going to have a lovely time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading such lovely stories to children is a delight and a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's so exciting and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the Gruffalo books. They were in my arsenal of books in school when I worked in Early Years. Even the most worried/upset/challenging child calmed when we shared The Gruffalo books. Fabulous. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the original story is an excellent way to talk about anxiety

      Delete
  5. I will buy this book for me ! Thanks for reminding me it is now published. I will have to take a trip into Glasgow to buy it from a proper bookshop. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the grandchildren will enjoy listening to you reading this book. I think its too young for Iris (and Rosie), but I've ordered it for Baby Christopher, he likes being read to. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie and Jess enjoyed the story and picked up on some of the subtle references to other Donaldson Books. I am sure Baby C will enjoy it too

      Delete
  7. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it to the grandchildren. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw them yesterday afternoon and I had a great time!

      Delete
  8. I heard her talking about the book on the Today programme a while ago. It made the news, which was lovely. Hope the flight wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going was OK. Coming back, less so - the lady on my left was very pleasant, but generously sized. I spent four hours feeling rather squashed. Fortunately I could snuggle up against Bob!! Thank you for asking

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!