Sometimes I tune in to one of Joshua Becker's minimalism videos. He seems a very nice guy, and genuine in his approach. And he certainly practices what he preaches in terms of being generous with his resources. His main premise is that if we have too many possessions they can be a burden to us, and stop us living to the best of our ability*. This little video could easily be included in Michael Mosley's "Just One Thing" list. Joshua explains how the "one less" habit can help reduce clutter gently but effectively. I may try his idea this autumn and see if it works for me.
*JB is an enthusiastic Christian, and elsewhere speaks about how having a faith in Jesus helps him to 'live, and to live abundantly'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thank you for sharing this Angela, what a simple a simple but effective way to declutter. Books and mugs for a start 😀
ReplyDeleteI hope it works...
DeleteBrilliant! I'm starting now!.well, soon.
ReplyDeleteIs all your kitchen stuff packed away during the extension project? Certainly something to consider when you re load the drawers..🍴🍴🍴🥄🥄🥄
DeleteGood question to ask ourselves as we continue to declutter.
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteIt's a great idea.... BUT for some of those items, socks, pens, they are not things that one might usually buy in a charity shop got example. I DID find a use for old socks - the year 5 kids were making stuffed felt toys last year so I gave them clean old socks to cut up to use for stuffing. I think some of the kids were squeamish about using old socks though, which is annoying that they've been raised to fear used stuff.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of pens or bags or old notebooks, I've often given them to kids at school. My favourite pupil left on the last day with one of my old Christmas jumpers. Asked if anyone wanted it and 2 girls says yes! But, I think it's the Where and how to ensure it will be reused that I struggle with in declutterinh!
I understand that. Recycle or donate where you can. Bin only when you must
DeleteThat's a really good way to do it, and I do really need to do it before we move home in a couple of months.
ReplyDeleteA house move is always a good incentive
DeleteI'm using a different gentle method to declutter. I try not to buy new things even when something wears out or breaks. Can we manage with what is left. Oh yes! We are making more of an effort to fix what we have before getting rid of something.
ReplyDeleteUse it up, wear it out, make it do or DO WITHOUT!!!! 👍💗
DeleteI cut up several T-shirts recently and they will make good dusters and washing cloths for the next while. Catriona
ReplyDeleteOld tee shirts are so useful 👕 👚
Delete