Monday, 28 September 2026

With Apologies To Oscar Hammerstein


The other evening I went to a concert [fundraiser for our village Parish Church] My friend sings in a local choir, and asked me to support the event. So I did. The Bach to Broadway programme included some well-sung well-known pieces. But I confess I was a little distracted in one song, and found myself rewriting the words of an old favourite from the musical 'Showboat'. 

Oh listen, sister, I love my mister man                 
And I can tell you why
Theres's many reasons for me to love that man     
It must be somethin' that the angels done plan

but... 
Sharks gotta swim, bats gotta fly
I gotta love one man till I die
But I can't help loathin' that beard he’s grown

Look at those bristles, thatch on his chin,
And when he kisses, it scratches my skin,
Can't help loathin' that beard he’s grown

With his beard so grey,
that's a rainy day
But when he shaves it off**
that day is fine
The sun will shine!

So he can come home
with a whiskery face
Cos home without him
ain't my happy place
Can't help lovin' that man of mine

[**as soon as he has been Santa for the Toddler Group at Chapel]

23 comments:

  1. Is he going to manage a full set of flowing white whiskers in time for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, the lesser-spotted Bearded Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that when you met him this summer, he was clean shaven.

      Delete
  3. Norrie has had a beard now for over 20 years. I don’t particularly like it but there are people who have never known him without it. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend had a beard for decades. He shaved it off for charity, and suddenly looked years younger. Maybe come Christmas, people will think I've gained a toyboy!!

      Delete
  4. Too funny! Does Bob like having a beard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has muttered about how much maintenance it requires

      Delete
  5. Have you seen Kelvin Fletcher's beard lately? His looks daft but I think the Rev suits his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No opinion about KF. The Rev looks very like his late brother which confuses me

      Delete
  6. Have you got to wait until Christmas before Bob shaves his beard off. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly until after he has been Santa for the toddler group.

      Delete
    2. Will the toddlers see him out of costume before that date?

      Delete
  7. Alan has had a beard since the day we met, most submariners end up with beards as electric razors aren't allowed on submarines and as you only have 6 hours of personal time, wet shaving uses up a good percentage of that. He did once shave it off for Christmas when he had over two weeks off work and didn't need to have to match his security pass ... I couldn't get used to the clean shaven person he became, but it wasn't a problem, two weeks later he was fully bearded again. :-)

    Bob really suits his beard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm concerned that he doesn't match his passport photo

      Delete
    2. My husband has always had a beard from before I met him

      Delete
    3. And a fine beard it is too. But I'm not planning to kiss him!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!