Tuesday 6 October 2015

The Cupboard Is Bare!

Since I arrived in Dorset in January, I have been aware of a large walk-in cupboard at the church, which has been filling up with lots of knitted goods. Blankets, baby wear, scarves, hats… “It’s for Romania” I was told. Yesterday I met Jayne Morris, from the Biggin Hill Romania Group, when she came to collect the stuff, ready to ship it out to Romania.

bhrgII  first encountered BHRG 25 years ago, when someone came to speak to our ladies group in the church at Welling. We had a project that summer to make 100 blankets [we ended up with about 140] to go out to these people who were trying to rebuild their lives after the fall of the Ceausescu regime. It is great to be involved again with such a worthwhile project. Here is Shirley showing one of the blankets, surrounded by some of the bags. Alison and Shirley facilitate this project here at UCF, encouraging the knitters and sorting the donations. Here they are either side of Jayne.

P1020318P1020319

The cupboard is bare – we need to start knitting again…

6 comments:

  1. Do you only want wool blankets, I could probably rustle up a quilt in much less time than I could crochet or knit a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely offer - I really don't know. I shall check with Ali and Shirley and get back to you on that one. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela

    Am quite happy to do a crochet one or two for you, but it will have to be for beginning of next year as I have two nearly there and another one for a friend from work who is having her second child. Let me know.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - Shirley will not be back again till next year [after Easter I think] so that would be wonderful. You are so generous

      Delete
  4. I wish I could crochet or knit!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, you have the most amazing gifts - music, cardmaking etc which you use to bless others. One day you may learn to knit too, but don't worry about it right now... x x

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!