Wednesday 29 April 2020

Are You A Basket Case...

...Or A Trolley Dolly?
When both girls were still at home, and I was teaching 2 or 3 days a week, and quite busy the rest of the time, I used to do a supermarket shop once a week or so, and very rarely needed a 'top-up' in between. But patterns of life change, and certainly since we came to Dorset, I do the 'big things' shop about once a month, and buy fresh bits and pieces occasionally in between. I can easily carry eggs, milk, fruit and veg in my bike panniers. Now I am much more a basket case than a trolley dolly. On my bike, I cannot transport heavy loads - so carrying the basket round the store reminds me not to buy too much.
I tried in vain to get an online order slot.We needed a few 'larger' items, and Tuesday was Bob's day off. We went to Ringwood, where Waitrose and Sainsbury's are in close proximity. We split the list and went our separate ways. Each of us had "eggs, yeast, kitchen roll, baked beans and peanut butter", but otherwise we had different items to look for. We were successful with everything except yeast - Bob said Sainsburys were very short on beanz, and he bought a brand we'd never seen before.
Sainsburys opened early for Key Workers, and Waitrose had an early slot for elderly people. So we went at 9.30 after they'd finished. Or so I thought. Waitrose has a very efficient system of In and Out, with gloved, masked assistants wiping the trolleys and basket handles. And clear lines on the floor. Despite that, many elderly people wandered in, round the wrong side of the arrows, and dithered in the aisles, their trolleys perpendicular to them as they crouched to read the shelf labels. 
I queued to get Bob's peanut butter  [2 metres away and pressed hard against the side to allow maximum passing room]  whilst a lady-with--obstructive-trolley struggled to select the ideal marmalade, then another pensioner shot past me with a trolley, and stopped right next to her in the aisle, turned her trolley sideways and bent down to hunt for her perfect preserves. I tell you, it looked just like the French barricades in Les Mis. I wanted to burst into a chorus of "Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men?"

I also spotted slightly bemused, smartly dressed, gentlemen [Bob saw some of these in Sainsburys too] They had baskets, and lists, and wore expressions which said "My wife has sent me out to get this stuff. Menial grocery shopping way is below my status. I am a retired Senior Civil Servant. I have no idea what I am looking for, or where it is. And I really cannot be bothered with markings on the floor or keeping my distance. I shall just go and grab the item anyway, whether or not there is a person in that space already. I may abandon the hunt for marmalade and just buy myself another bottle of gin"
I made a point of saying Thankyou to all staff, and saying that I appreciate their efforts to keep everyone safe. As I left the store, I heard the poor chap at the door - still saying "No Madam, please wait until I say...right you can go in now...no please follow the arrows to the left..."
I have put some milk in the freezer, and I think we can survive for a good few weeks without any major shopping trips. I shall stay home and sing happily to myself...

21 comments:

  1. going shopping is a nightmare for me , i have to read the labels for certain ingrediants then discard many , thats not going to make you popular in any supermarket these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problem with the people reading the labels (I really need new glasses myself, but opticians are closed for the duration) it's the shoppers who block the whole aisle whilst doing it.

      Delete
  2. Hello. Blog-hopping from Sue's blog (My Quiet Life in Suffolk). I know Ringwood well, so was "with you" as you and your husband shopped in Waitrose and Sainsburys. Memories of happier days spent looking after a friend's animals whilst they were away.

    It sounded a little . . . fraught . . . in Waitrose, but I expect their Gin sales have increased exponentially!

    For yeast - try Shipton Mills online shop, which is open for a short while each afternoon to take orders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome, BB. Ringwood is a lovely little town. Thanks for the tip about Shipton Mills, I will check that out.

      Delete
  3. I had a bad experience (my first during this episode) in a supermarket on Sunday. My husband has coronary heart disease and asthma, I have CFS and son is asthmatic so I do the shopping but only when it is quiet and in smaller stores. A queue formed in the shop when two shoppers stopped to have a long chat and a laugh with a shop assistant who had semi blocked the aisle with the stock she was dealing with. When I asked if it was alright to go past them, I got snapped at by the assistant! I wanted to just dump the trolley and burst into tears which really isn't like me at all. Prior to this, we had driven away from two crowded supermarket car parks as we felt it was too risky to shop in these stores and gone to a smaller, more expensive store. Who ever thought that shopping could be so stressful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan, how horrid for you. I do hope you and your husband can find an easier, safer shop. Can you find one locally that will let you in during the early OAP slot because your asthma puts you in the vulnerable category?

      Delete
    2. Susan, have you tried to get a click and collect slot?
      We tried early on in the crisis and failed but lately have been successful with Asda. My brother, who has tried repeatedly with all the major supermarkets and failed until recently, found that he could get a Tesco slot for the next day if he logged on about 4pm.
      We were very impressed with our C&C at Asda, all the groceries were good and the whole process very easy. You don't have to mix with anyone else at all, other than the person who delivers your shopping to the car.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Jean for these helpful suggestions

      Delete
  4. I am only 54 so don't qualify for OAP slot and husband doesn't have a 'high risk' letter despite having had a cardiac arrest, surgery and permanent damage to his heart and his asthma is under control with medication. I feel guilty getting a delivery slot as I can get out to shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps Jean's suggestions for C&C might work for you

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I keep hearing of people having problems with deliveries and click and collect but I will have a look. We live 15 miles away from the nearest supermarkets and the village stores are very expensive.

      Delete
  5. I guess I am a "cart pusher" as we have shopping carts here and I prefer those to the baskets. I haven't gone grocery shopping since March 16, so, I've no idea how things are in the stores, these days. I don't think I will be going to a grocery store any time soon, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If USA like the UK, you will find it all very strange next time you visit!

      Delete
  6. Strangely I have found the big sainsbury's at fosse park less stressful than smaller ones. Well organised and plenty of space in aisles. I use the smart shop app so no queue to pay. Still a few customers not fully distancing, but generally worth the 20 minute wait to get in. Hope you and Bob are taking some time to do things for yourselves xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually shopped at Fosse park Sainsbury's, back in Leicester, and generally they were well organised. Yes Bob and I are making space for doing relaxing stuff, thank you. Our prayers are with Dr Emma 🙏

      Delete
  7. On Wednesdays our market reopened with vegetables, fish, meat, poultry, game, milk and cheese and baked goods and also flowers. Wagons always come to the market place. Today we eat fish with fresh vegetables. I have no stress with shopping, of course I have to say that the children moved out and have their own families and we don't need that much anymore. Regardless of this, many farmers sell here with us. Hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Germany is relaxing things a little now, I know. I envy you your lovely open air market. It is easier when there are just two of you to feed. It must be so hard for younger parents with large families right now.

      Delete
  8. Our local Tesco is handling the situation brilliantly. It helps that the aisles are all very wide in the first place but the staff are friendly, helpful and very efficient at keeping people safe.
    I have found that 10am on a Sunday morning (not good for you I know!) is a good time to get in before the queue builds up, also teatime, ie 4-5pm. I reckon that by then all the people who always shop in the mornings have long since gone and those with kids are at home cooking their tea.
    However, you do still get the odd idiot, usually male I'm afraid, like the bloke in overalls who barged past me, ignoring the one-way system while speaking into his mobile and therefore spraying me with potentially lethal particles. Too busy to be either polite or considerate I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I couldn't manage the 10am Sunday slot - but I agree, on my afternoon cycle rides, I have noticed queues are much shorter mid afternoon around 4pm.

      Delete
  9. It must be so hard for the people on the door who have to remain VERY patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed- and I admire them for their cheerful disposition and helpful attitudes [big shout out to Ruth with the lovely red hair and beaming smile, often outside our M&S Foodhall]

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!