Thursday 30 April 2020

The Great British Sewing Bears...

I've watched Episode 1, but was busy last night so haven't caught up with #2 yet. Pleased to see that Patrick Grant's clothing company has turned production over to PPE scrubs for NHS personnel [as has David Neiper's Ladieswear factory, and also one of John Lewis' suppliers] If the professionals are doing this, I don't feel guilty about not sewing scrubs from old bedsheets, as many others are doing. The factory output would far exceed mine, in terms of professionalism, correct fabrics, and meeting the rigorous quality control for such important clothing. I want to do something helpful - and I will make more Hannah's Headbands. I had a reply to one of my Lockdown Letters, and in it my young friend mentioned the PJs I'd made last week 
She included a picture of her bear, and the measurements. Well, I couldn't ignore a request like that [especially when she'd written such a lovely 3 page letter] I also had a thank-you from the girl next door, for her doll's pyjamas.
"When we clapped on Thursday it gave me a smile because I was seeing you."
I started thinking about the children who live in my road. We're at the top - I don't really know the families at the bottom. But in this row of just 6 houses, we have loads of 'key workers' - 2 teachers [I don't include myself] 2 firemen, a social worker involved in Fostering and Adoption, and 2 NHS staff [and Bob counts as a key worker too]  All of those 7 are parents of primary school children. So I put notes through their doors saying I was making pjs for dolls and teddies on Wednesday 29th, and anybody who wanted their toy dressed should leave it in my porch on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. And they started arriving before 9am!
One had a letter attached [and a chocolate egg in the bag with the teddy]
I set to with my fabric, and had a lovely day, making paper patterns and creating pjs. They sat on the table with their outfits, and I stitched happily all day. 
At 6pm I delivered them to the families. "I told you she would bring them before bedtime, Mummy!" cried one delighted young lady.

And yes, the red ted has got a pink dress too - but that is not quite finished, and will be delivered later this morning! These children may be anxious when Mum or Dad has to go to work - and toys are very important at such a time, when you need someone to cuddle. Making the pyjamas is one way of saying thankyou to my neighbours, and showing these families that they are valued members of our community.

9 comments:

  1. That's lovely! I was also delighted to see that your young friend had bought her bear from a charity shop. I bought Small Edward from a jumble sale well over sixty years ago and he is still very well loved. He was called Small Edward as I already had Big Teddy and I thought that "Little Teddy" would be too undignified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CS buys so often become treasured possessions.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely thing to do! You are so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How perfect! What a kind idea. We have no children in our little close, but I just keep on making masks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do what we can.And you are making masks for the carers who make a difference in your little close.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful idea, community spirit starts with small acorns. I'm sure the children were ecstatic when their toys came home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such a wonderful idea! I am sure it gives the children a great joy and feeling of love during this difficult time. And, Angela, we are watching the British Sewing Bee in Norway too! I watched episode 2 yesterday :) There is also a Norwegian version of it. The new Norwegian season is planned to be made in September/October.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!