Saturday 12 October 2024

I Hadn't Expected Two Fruit Trees!

We went off to Milton Keynes on Thursday, for the Christian Resources Exhibition. We've attended CREXsince it began in the 1980s, at various venues. Mostly at Sandown Racetrack. But this was our first trip since the Pandemic, and this was a new venue. We left at 7am and the journey was slow
We hadn't realised there would be so many roadworks, including the resurfacing of the A421 which was completely flooded recently. The venue was the Marshall Arena, between the MK Don's Stadium, and a large Asda! 
There were fewer exhibitors this year. Lots of insurance companies. One lady invited me to look at her products for church and personal insurance. "and enter the prize draw to win £500 for your church". Well that would be useful for our little chapel... Except as I filled in the form, I realised that only Church of England churches were eligible. I put down the name of our village parish church instead. But I thought it was a bit odd. The Salvation Army Insurance guy gave me a keyring with a built in spirit level. "thank you, this is useful" I said. And he gave me another keyring "for bleeding' radiators" he said, and grinned at me. 
I bought Advent Calendars for the grandchildren but nothing else. Unlike the early years, there were very few freebies, although Bob got a folding stojo cup and a small video camera. One Innovative church heating company were giving away tiny fruit trees explaining "we didn't want to give out plastic things". Bob got a pear, I had an apple. I hope they will survive.
This is Roary the Lion. He was from a group which trains people about safeguarding, and how to protect vulnerable children and adults. I had a lovely chat with the rep - who commented that she felt that Baptists already had an excellent safeguarding programme in place, which was good to hear. I took a card anyway, to pass on to Bex, who does a great job at chapel sorting out our DBS checks etc. 
Here's Bob at the Tools With A Mission 
TWAM. I've mentioned them before. Bob wanted to talk more about how The Shed can work with them in their tool refurbishing projects. 
They do so much across the world - I learned that forty five people every day are able to find a livelihood using tools and training fro  TWAM. I commented on the big photo of the woman with her sewing machine. TWAM is involved with many projects round the globe helping women get educated, and learn sewing skills. As well as hammers, screwdrivers and drills, TWAM can use donated sewing and knitting paraphernalia. 
We left the Arena and walked across the Asda car park, to the adjacent IKEA. Meatballs for lunch, and a good mooch round. No, I didn't buy tealights - but I did get mustard sauce, crackers, and cinnamon rolls. 
We got home 12 hours after we left. A lovely day together. 

2 comments:

  1. I went to CRE on Thursday. I foolishly bought my lunch at the venue which was quite expensive and not really very nice. As you say less freebies and less exhibitors. It was a day out and a lovely drive in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right about the food! We might have walked past each other if you were there on Thursday too! We're you given a fruit tree?

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!