Wednesday 16 October 2024

Just Ten Weeks...

I do not bother to get so organised about Christmas these days. Fifteen years ago, our family Christmas and the church calendar was utterly manic. I made Bob a special tee shirt listing all the events.
Retirement has many blessings - and one of them is having time just to enjoy the season.
I don't really need to add to my seasonal decorations - and certainly I decluttered lots of stuff in the Autumn before retirement. We have no need of a staircase garland when you live in a bungalow, or the shelf with stocking hooks when there is no mantelpiece.
But I did succumb this week, and spent £2.50 on Charity shop bargains.
The needle-felted dog on his sled, and that red love-joy-peace mug really needed to come home with me!
I did not succumb to the Musketeer Bear. There were at least 60 bears from this collection in a bin in the CS**, at £1 each. At their original prices, that would have cost someone over £300. Cute though they were, I did not fall for the charms of Caesar the Roman bear,nor Vik the Viking, nor Giorgio the Gondolier. But a serious arctophile like Gyles Brandreth would find lots of bargains here [**the new PACT charity shop in Dereham] 
Have you started 'Christmas Planning' yet?

16 comments:

  1. I've got as far as thinking about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness what a month!
    And some say Pastors/Vicars/Priests only work on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On wow, Bob did have a busy schedule, but mostly joyous no doubt. Our youngest son likes to have things organised so his family are visiting on the 22nd December, one panto booked with daughter Ang, her daughter and partner and Christmas cards ordered. Otherwise, I just want to enjoy Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now the families are growing up, I just wait for them to let me know their plans. I'm grateful for our less busy schedule

      Delete
  4. Well, I have been assigning songs and parts to the year 1 and 2 classes because they need to get started on their nativity early so next week I have to start teaching the songs. Ks2, also I have to get started in order to get everything taught/learnt in time because Half term is a week late this year so I have one fewer weeks after the holiday to teach them. Feels absurdly early!
    Bob's year of 09 sounds crazy busy! Last year, I was absurdly busy. This year, I have a few concerts booked in. Not sure where we will be for Christmas. Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers are as busy as ministers at Christmas time. I hope that once term ends, you&C have time to visit loved ones 🎶❤️👍

      Delete
  5. I have written some cards, and gathered gifts together. Slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remembered that I got a few gifts in the summer and put them on the top shelf Ithe wardrobe. Thank you for the reminder!

      Delete
  6. I love when I find a cute Christmas bargain in a charity shop knowing that I have donated to the charity, saved things from landfill and will probably redonate on the future. Yes, I have started preparations for Christmas in my craft groups and then the Shedman and I spend Christmas together with not a thing in sight to show that it is any other day. Very glad to spend time with my very best friend and grateful that we can eat and heat without worry. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last sentence sums it up beautifully. To be with the ones you love is a blessing and a joy

      Delete
  7. I love the mug and felted dog, great finds in charity shops for Christmas. I have got my fruit for the Christmas cake, also bought a joint of beef that was discounted and it is tucked in the freezer. I've picked up a couple of presents too both for my sons and one for my husband. Nothing else though. The year 2009 looked manic for you both. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well organised! I like the sound of a joint of beef waiting in the freezer

      Delete
  8. That was a very busy December for Bob!
    I really haven't thought much about Christmas, yet. I should decide if I am making cards, again, or buying a box of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I send so very few cards these days. I have some left over from last year I can use

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!