Sunday 20 October 2024

Very Cheerful Food [4]

That was a clue in a cryptic crossword I was doing recently. At first I couldn't work it out, but once I'd filled in the down clues, I got it. Very = So, Cheerful = Up. The answer so-up = Soup.

I was at the dentist's on Monday,and as I walked back to where I'd parked the car, I saw this sign
I do love the idea of Soup Church! I wonder if the Methodists of East Harling are Very Cheerful Christians, I do hope so. They are clearly keen on good food and gentleness. It is a shame that it is a 70 mile round trip to my dentists, otherwise I'd be tempted to call in!

There is something special about sharing good food in good company [companion comes from the old French compaignon, one who breaks bread with another] I shall be eating meals at the conference this weekend with many friends,new and old. I know I'll look round the dining room, and hear gales of laughter from one table, and see deep conversations going on at another...
A blessing of retirement is having the time to invite others to share a meal with us - at home, or at a local 'eatery'. It doesn't have to be 5* cuisine - soup and a roll, a cuppa plus cake...but it is so good to meet together, and eat together. 
Jesus did it all the time [feeding 5000, Cana Wedding Feast, Supper at Emmaus, a BBQ on the Beach] I think we should too!!


11 comments:

  1. I think companion is one of the loveliest words in our language. Companions add an extra je ne sais quois to any meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The young mothers group at church, which I used to go to over 30 years ago, started cooking a monthly church lunch. It's still going strong! Groups which eat together, stay together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🙏
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about sharing food being a social experience-there’s something about sitting at a table and chatting that fills me with joy. Hope you have had a lovely time with your friends and safe journey if you are not yet home. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. A brilliant time. Home safe but exhausted!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!