Tuesday 13 January 2009

Luke 15:8

The Parable of the Lost Coin

"Or what woman, having ten silver coins,if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbours, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.' Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

And likewise, a woman who lost a favourite silver ear-ring last Thursday, convinced it was somewhere out in the village, run over by a car, or swept up by a school cleaner, rejoices when she cleans the kitchen floor slightly more thoroughly than she usually does, and finds it lurking under the fridge!

tinkerbell earringsNow I've got a pair again- and I'm really glad, because they were a present from Bob and the girls when I first had my ears pierced back in 1987. No doubt I'll work this into a sermon illustration sometime!

I remember telling the story of the lost coin to my Explorers [5-8 yr olds] in Girls Brigade once. A few weeks later, there was an upset between two of the little girls and it took a bit of sorting out. One of them suddenly burst into tears and said "I am  really, really sorry" and the other one hugged her. Another child said "Angela- are the angels having a party now?" "What?"  "Well you told us that when someone says that they are really sorry, and they really mean it, all the angels in heaven have a party!" I agreed that the angels were indeed having a party, and that we ought to celebrate too!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Always liked that aspect of working with "Splorers" (can any of them actually say Ex-plorer?).

    Glad you found your lose earring.

    Now need to get ready for GB... where I am 'on standby' with Bible related craft in case the appointed leader is away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments!!
    :)
    big hugs,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always losing my earrings. One Sunday I noticed my right earring was missing. I scoured the church, I had people looking everywhere...only to discover I'd put both earrings in my left ear.

    *blush*

    I love the story about the little girls, that's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Go to my blog because I have given you an award. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankls for all the comments - and the award!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!