Saturday 7 May 2011

The Midriff Moth

I have always tried to dissuade clothes moths from sharing my home. I have some cute cedar wood hearts, and cherish the belief that their scent is off-putting to these little creatures.

DSCF1475

clothes moth

I have avoid using mothballs – I can’t throw straight, so I know I would never be able to hit the target! [and I hate the smell]

However I have discovered another phenomenon attacking my wardrobe [and Bob’s] I’ve not seen it mentioned elsewhere, but I am naming this the Midriff Moth.

Loads of our tee-shirts seem afflicted by holes round the waist. Observe my Fibonacci shirt

DSCF1474

Please ignore the fact that the picture was taking before ironing, and that there’s a Maplin catalogue in the corner of the shot [there usually is, but I normally crop that bit!]

Note the position of the little fluorescent marker

Close up shot

DSCF1469

 

Two tiny holes. This picture is actually one of Bob’s teeshirts.

I have concluded that it is something to do with the way that the belt buckles on our jeans abrade the fabric [lovely word that- so much more evocative than ‘rub’!]

I do not want to darn the holes – I could do so, but I think that would pucker the fabric and draw more attention to the minuscule apertures [more lovely words] Currently my technique is to turn the garment to the inside and apply a couple of drops of this…

DSCF1470

It seems to prevent the holes getting bigger, and survives washing and ironing.

Do other people have this problem? If so, how do you deal with it?

Or is this holiness confined to my household?

4 comments:

  1. I know about these holes - but of a larger nature. My T-shirts get stuck in my bike leathers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, we have them too, it is definitely the Greater beltbuckle Moth.
    Your tip reminds me of the old days when oine dabbed a bit of nail varnish to stop a stocking ladder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I find these holes on 'The Old Grumps' T-shirts. Now I know that they are caused by the 'Midriff Moth' - mystery solved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the natural lifecycle of the T shirt. As it matures and begins evolving into a gardening T shirt, the little aeration holes appear (to allow for cooling in hot weather). On reaching full maturity, the holes increase in size leading the T into it's rag days.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!