Tuesday 30 April 2013

Gone!

It was my own fault, I somehow managed to transfer a tiny lipstick smudge from my finger to the wall above the mirror. But now it has completely gone. Look at the genuine ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots

DSCF5443DSCF5444

I removed the mark with one of my trusty ‘magic eraser’ sponges

DSCF5445These come from Aldi, and a box of six is just under £1.80, which I reckon to be 30p each – but I am very mean and cut each sponge into six smaller pieces- so that is 5p a sponge.

I have a reason for doing this

DSCF5446

The sponges need to be moistened with water [no chemicals] and then gently rubbed over offending marks.As it removes the mark, the surface of the sponge itself wears away. By cutting each into 6, I am vastly increasing the surface area.

When these ‘magic’ sponges first came out, about 10 years ago, introduced by Proctor and Gamble under their “Mr Clean” label, I was quite suspicious, as they were so expensive. But these Aldi ones work just as well. The technology behind them is fascinating – they are melamine foam, and it was being used as cushioning in aeroplane seats. I cannot fathom how someone found out that making this foam wet turned it into a brilliant mark remover. But it was a great discovery.

Someone [a rival company?] started a rumour that the original P&G ones contained harmful chemicals, so the company had to issue a statement declaring that to be untrue. I think they are truly wonderful – and have been using them [the cheap ones!] for years, to clean up my act!

10 comments:

  1. I found that one brand of these I tired removed the emulsion from the wall as well as the marks I was trying to remove. Your pads look as if they don't do that, so when I go to an Aldi sometime, I will look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need to be VERY gentle and patient [something I struggle with!] and go slowly. I think some of the other brands are a little more aggressive' though!

      Delete
  2. Amazing. Just googled them & all feedback is equally impressive. Guess where I'm going soon! Thanks, Ang, x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip. I shall look out for them the next time I'm in Aldi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use these same magic sponges and too cut them up - my mother taught me well. They are invaluable with children. They remove pen and pencil off walls. They are brilliant for wooden doors and I recommend them to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these sponges, and also cut them up. It makes me so happy that they really work!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's clever! I've never heard of these before.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They even get dry erase marker off walls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shall see if they are in Aldi France! We have a horrid mark on a wall that I usually try to hide... it will be a real test ! Thanks, Ang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If no success in your Aldi, let me know. I could post you some, they are very light!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!