Thursday 11 April 2013

On An Arctic Roll…

I struggled into school this morning feeling somewhat under par, and was grateful that my small groups were well behaved and working hard. But we did hit a little bit of a problem. We were doing a comprehension piece [or “Reading Test” as they call them now] It was about Whale Hunting. The boys could not understand how anybody could justify killing and eating whales.

I pointed out that for some people, whalemeat** has been a traditional part of their diet for centuries. “Like the Inuits” I said, aiming for Political Correctness.

Child 1 - What’s an Inuit?

Me – It’s the same as Eskimo. Do you know what an Eskimo is?

Child 2 – I know about them- they are miserable teenagers who wear black clothes

Me – I think you might be getting confused with EMOS

Child 1 – [genuinely confused] Aren’t they big weird birds, Miss?

Some definitions

eskimokid1

Eskimos (or Esquimaux) or Inuit–Yupik peoples are indigenous peoples who have traditionally inhabited the circumpolar region from eastern Siberia (Russia), across Alaska (United States), Canada, and Greenland (Denmark).

emokid1

Emo - The stereotype for a kid(13-19) who has a lower tolerance for sad emotions, and feels inadequate of their own personal worth. Many emos feel so depressed that they resort to self harm. Emo boys often wear girls trousers and dye their hair black, with a pyramid spiked belt, and tight tee shirts(usually black). It is known that emos have a kind of rule that 40% of their face must be covered by hair, although it is actually a subconscious feeling of wanting to cover up their sad eyes.

emukid1

Emu - The largest bird native to Australia. It is the second-largest extant bird in the world by height, after its relative, the ostrich.

Postscript – I had almost finished typing this when Steph phoned. When I told her the story, she said I ought to have finished the conversation with “Are you sure you aren’t thinking of Elmo?”

elmokid1

** I love that whalemeat is an anagram of wheatmeal

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Miss! I had no idea what an EMO was after reading the title in a news article,I skipped it and moved on !
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a definite resemblance between the second and third photos! Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well , I have learned something today . I have never heard of Emos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you have enlightened me Angela, I had no idea what an Emo is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had absolutely no idea what emos were. We spent all our coins trying to guess it for Four Pictures One Word. This is what passes for entertainment here when the small strawbs are in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're ok! I was aware of what all these definitions were and thus howled with laughter over the confusion! Have you ever listened to inuit vocal games? They are really interesting to listen to! I can't remember what they are actually called but teenagers play a game where one has to match the other's vocal noise and they stand really close to each other doing it! I still can hear it in my head, 10 years on from learning about them at UNi!x

    ReplyDelete

  7. You made me giggle so hard at this. Fab post.
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elmo's face is nearly 100% covered by hair .... what does this portend?

    Wonderful post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!