Thursday 14 January 2021

Going Off My Trolley

My Permitted Exercise on Monday was a walk into Ferndown, accompanied by my Trusty Molly Trolley. She is strong, useful, and has been around for ages, rather like her owner. She's also useful in a queue - I can hold her at an angle ensuring social distancing from the woman behind me.

As I plodded along, head down, I fund myself pondering on the important questions of the day- most of which involve the Grand Downsize and Declutter.

But my mind wandered as I saw the litter left along the grass verges. By the time I got home I'd almost completely lost the plot...

Take face masks. Loads  of them. And just near the M&S Foodhall [where you  usually find such a nice people!], I saw a rather nice, clearly handmade, triple layer jobbie. It was lying sideways on the verge. I cannot believe it was deliberately cast aside. 
But it looked just like half a bra cup. And I thought about my underwear drawer. I've gone over to easy, pull on crop top underwear this past year.  I have a stash of various pretty, lacy coloured bras from days gone by which I have retained. One day I might be a 34A again [who are you kidding, Ang?] Could I recycle these bras into face masks? after all, they do come with matching coloured elastic.**

Then as I trudged on, the wind blew my hair across my face. It is 10 months since I had a haircut, and coloured my hair. I'm 'embracing the grey'.  I just passed on an unopened box of dye to a friend. But I have got two half bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom called Pro-voke. Steph did some work for the company, and they gave her samples, she passed these on to me in 2019. I'd forgotten about them.
But I ran out of conditioner, and I'd used this [in the shower] on Monday morning. I am not sure my grey was blended at all - but I was aware of the brown lather running down from my head as I showered. Thought - if this is tinting my greys, will it also give me a fake tan? Why take two bottles into the shower...
I got home, and over lunch I shared with Bob my plans to start making lacy bra facemasks, and to market an all-in-one "hair dye, shower gel, self tan" product. His unprintable response has led me to reconsider these plans.
**It turns out that a Japanese company is already doing this. I don't think I shall bother. I must bag the 'gently used' bras up and send them here

10 comments:

  1. I'm all in favor of your plans to consolidate products and recycle certain items in your wardrobe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has cheered up a grey and gloomy day here in Leicester! I too am horrified by the amount of littered face masks. Luckily there seem to be less disposable gloves now. I think people have realised they are not particularly helpful. I have noticed them falling out of vans occasionally and wonder if that is a source given the huge numbers of home deliveries? One of our neighbours regularly has 2 or 3 a day! Good luck with the downsizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been a decrease in discarded gloves here too. I wonder if people wear the masks round the shops then a few yards later pull them off quickly, and don't tuck them fully into bags or pockets

      Delete
  3. I embraced the grey myself as soon as I retired, so nearly eight years ago, and don't regret it one bit. All that time, money and effort spent on trying to keep up with the grey roots! I took the decision one day when out walking with a group of friends. The wind blew and parted the hair of my friend in front of me, revealing the tell tale almost white line in her hair. I thought to myself, that mine is just the same and its not a good look, time to move on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been especially glamorous, so don't need to strive to be a Glamorous Granny

      Delete
  4. BTW, I read about a charity that sends unwanted bras to parts of Africa where apparently young girls and women are less likely to be sexually assaulted if they're wearing one but they're not always available or affordable. Next time I have a clear out I will send mine there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's useful. I don't know how the cancer charity disposed of the ones they collect

      Delete
  5. That's a great idea in the video showing the way they are collecting bras.
    I would still love to see you use your skills to make ONE mask out of an old bra- just for the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've sent bras to Smalls for Africa in the past. The face mask idea did make me smile! I started wearing nonwired bras a couple of years ago and they are so much more comfy than those with wire. I HATE all the discarded face masks- I've never worn a disposable one and I don't intend to- nasty things! People are so awful!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!