Sunday 8 January 2012

Blessings!

I frequently sign off letters, blog comments and phonecalls with the word “Blessings!” – God has blessed me so much, and I want to share those blessings with others. I am also conscious of so many unexpected blessings showered upon us all, everyday, through God’s good grace.

Bob and I agreed we wouldn’t buy each other a present this year due to financial stringencies [and the fact that we’d already purchased a ‘joint present’ for ourselves- a much needed bit of replacement PA gear – earlier in December] But Bob ignored that decision, and gave me a gift anyway [I ignored the decision too, and gave him a set of books from the Book People!]

He bought me this Willow Tree figure – she’s called “Blessings!”

DSCF3185

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Count your blessings, name them one by one;
Count your blessings, see what God hath done;
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold.
Count your many blessings, money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

8 comments:

  1. hi Angela, i posted about your blog at www.moveonward.blogspot.com although i am not sure the actual link worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention Jennifer- blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, just what I needed to read this morning. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this song brought memories flooding back Angela as I sung this in the Salvation Army Sunday School. Great choice thanks so much. Love your gift too.
    Happy New Year.
    Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think that song and the sentiment were such a cliché. Oh yes, do be grateful (I thought) but don't do it in such a forced way. Now I've found that if I don't structure and monitor my thankfulness and gratitude for God's blessings, then it's far too easy to focus on the hard times and forget the blessings altogether! So now I'm totally with you on the blessing of counting your blessings, Ang!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I start out my morning prayer with a list of things I'm thankful for, including a warm bed and a car that starts. I find that my list is always long. It's a good and rather humbling way to start the day.

    Blessings on you, my dear!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angela! Pleased to have you as a follower and I have also joined yours.
    I love the Willow tree figures and I often buy one as a present because I find they say so much.We have a few and when my brother David died last year I put a willow tree 'guardian angel' in his coffin because he believed (as we all do in my family anyway) that he had a guardian angel.I am looking forward to following your posts, blessings back!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!