Saturday 21 January 2012

There Is Nothing Like A Dane!

Everyone is busy talking about the new film of Maggie Thatcher’s time in Downing Street, “Iron Lady” starring Meryl Streep

streep &thatcher  iron lady

I haven’t seen it, so cannot comment [we did receive a cinema voucher for Christmas, thankyou Mark, but I’m keeping that for War Horse!] but lately I have been quite caught up in the progress of another female Prime Minister. This one is Danish.

borgen1Sidse Babett Knudsen stars as prime minister Birgitte Nyborg Christensen in the drama series Borgen It is on BBC4 on Saturday evenings.

borgen2

I didn’t watch “The Killing” so I cannot make any reasonable comparisons. A number of my friends saw that series, but they just keep on about the stunning knitwear! According to The Telegraph’s critic Michael Hogan, if The Killing is Prime Suspect, then Borgen is West Wing. I was not so keen on PS, but loved WW – and Bob and I have already spotted many similarities.

You quickly get used to watching with subtitles – however it does mean I cannot manage to knit and watch at the same time! Is anyone else watching it?

pan amAnd on the subject of Saturday night TV, when will they be bringing us some more Pan Am? The BBC website says ‘during 2012’ but nothing more specific than that.

I love those retro 1960’s fashions. I have always longed for one of those gorgeous blue Pan Am bags, ever since I saw one as a child on the arm of the wife of a Baptist Deacon in Bishop’s Stortford!

What are you watching on Saturday nights?

5 comments:

  1. Nothing!

    Sunday is my tv evening, now juggling Countryfile, Antiques Roadshow, Call the Midwife, and then Wild At Heart on ITV1+1 - all whilst ironing, usually!!

    Morgan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched The Midwife yet - I have episodes recorded, but not had time to catch up! I agree with you, TV is a great help when the ironing basket is full!

      Delete
  2. Hi i found your blog through frugdal queen. I used to live in bishop's stortford . Do you know it well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky - I lived there from 1956 - 1963, when my Dad was minister at the Baptist Church - but I have not been back for YEARS. We lived in Havers Lane, opposite a bowling green, and not far from Cecil Rhodes House. I went to Northgate End School next to the Cattle Market.

    I expect the town has changed beyond recognition now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't Cecil Rhodes father a cleryman there too?

    I have visited the house, it's fascinating.

    We will be out tonight with friends.

    Got lots recorded at mo. Haven't seen Christmas Great Expectations yet!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!