Monday 23 January 2012

We Knead The Dough

Bob declared at the weekend that we may have bought our last bagel. Well, I certainly haven’t bought my last book. I saw this in the Oxfam shop today and caved in on my ‘no more books’ idea.

breadmachine lambert

I have looked at this book before in charity shops, and this time I decided it was worth treating myself.

Many of the breadmaker books I have looked at contain just three or four basic recipes with minor variations.

This one has a wide range of recipes – and very clear instructions.

There is a useful troubleshooting guide at the beginning. For many of the recipes, there are two ‘ingredient lists’ [for a 1lb or 1½lb loaf] There are recipes for basic breads, grain breads, fruit/veg/cheese breads, oven baked goods [just using the breadmaker for the dough function] sourdough breads, sweet breads and holiday breads, breads from round the world, and more…

lavash armenian-flat-breadbaguette

The bagel recipe is very similar to Karen's. But I want to try the lavash  - that’s Armenian flatbread, and the oatmeal walnut bread, and also see how I get on with French baguettes.

If Karen’s costing are correct, and I am sure they are, then a batch of bagels represents a saving of around £1.70 – so making two batches will more than cover the £2.99 spent on the book. I will let you know how I get on.

A brief update on the Morrison’s Foccacia story – they have never replied to my letter, and we thought the bread, made as per packet instructions, was not particularly tasty. But we ate it anyway!

6 comments:

  1. No wonder you caved on the 'no books' decision. This looks absolutely fantastic. My breadmaker came with a booklet that contains quite a lot of good recipes, but I tend to stick to the same few - the sundried tomato bread is delicious, as is the raisin and cinnamon. You have inspired me to try a few more- the peanut butter bread is first on the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of sun dried tomato bread! Peanut butter bread sounds brilliant - sort of instant sandwiches!

      Delete
  2. Hi Angela, thanks for stopping by the blog, I have a bread maker. It takes up a bit of space on the work top, but its worth it for the bread. I'm not as adventurous as you such as bagels, which we love.
    PS Bishops's Stortford - I lived there with my family from 1987-1999. It really expanded when Stansted Airport expanded. Its now a really expensive commuter town. I returned about 4 years ago and didnt really like it - changed so much x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, thanks for the info on B/S - I shan't rush back there then!

      Delete
  3. Hello! have been reading but nt comenting- trying not to ignore domestic activities in lieu of virtual ones! Must try to track down soem scond had copy of this- haven't been using ours- well the one on permanent loan to save Cooking Catherine storing it- since the recipe booklet disappeared into the gloop that you know to be this house! And I do miss it! Am functioning on one Internet basic loaf recipe. All well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will email you some recipes when I have a moment, Mags.
      Not many spare moments right now tho!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!