Tuesday 24 January 2012

Oh Crumbs!

Oatmeal Walnut Bread – first attempt

DSCF3236

Something not quite right here! The Troubleshooting Section suggests that “bread collapsed” means either I had too much liquid, or too much sugar. The recipe required 2 tbsp honey, and I thought at the time “this seems rather a lot” Maybe American honey is runnier and less sweet than British Honey?

I am sure we can salvage something from this loaf. I shall slice the denser bottom section for sandwiches, and perhaps rip the soggy top part into ‘rustic chunks’ and bake them off a little in the oven to eat with ghome-made soup. It’s given us something to smile about anyway.

[btw -The sinister black thing in the corner of the photo is my oven glove!]

9 comments:

  1. Isn't a US tablespoon equal to a British dessertspoon? I know it is so for Australia!

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Well, you can give the odd bits to the birds, and they will enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought maybe this was a lopsided heart. If you pretend that's what you were trying to make, then you haven't failed at all!

    Onward.

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that like shooting bullet holes in the fence, then painting the targets round them afterwards?

      Delete
  4. oh interesting. You could also use it for breadcrumbs? Or give it to the birds and see how fast they fall out of the sky....LOL ONLY JOKING!!!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what makes you think the birds would even deign to peck at it???

      Delete
  5. Ang, I have a scarily similar item in my bread machine at the moment! It's not finished yet but we've all had a peep through the window and are certain it's not going to come out right. Old yeast, in my case, I think... I just don't use the machine enough in France.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe a US tbsp, like a UK one, when used as a measure is 15mL (more or less). The Australian measure is 20mL, for some odd reason. But in the US a tablespoon is equivalent to a UK dessert spoon in that it is the spoon you put on the table for dessert! The problem might be that if you actually use a tablespoon (ie a UK serving spoon) to measure it out, rather than a measuring spoon, you'd get more than 15mL.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!