Monday 9 January 2012

One A Week ? I Doubt It!

I only had one book this Christmas, which is quite unusual – but it is such a fascinating book, I am quite happy. It is this

knitters year

It contains fifty two ‘simple, seasonal projects’ – and they are indeed set out in 4 groups of 13 – Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.

The book is a delight to read- full of attractive photographs and helpful notes [It does tend towards the CK lifestyle in places, but I’ll forgive her for that!] Here are a few of the projects – bags, babywear, household items, Christmas bits…

knitters year pix

They are all relatively small items, and I imagine that a determined knitter could indeed produce one a week. The book has helpful notes on the different yarns, and ideas for modifying patterns. You can see more from the book on the Amazon site [here] I like her simple instructions, which are well set out [and on her website DB is honest enough to admit that sometimes errors creep in – you can even print out a sheet of revisions for the book!] Some of the cable designs look a little complex- but the majority of designs seem quite manageable for a reasonably competent knitter, and many would be achievable even for a novice with the needles.

DSCF2992Thus far I have done just one item. After many pathetic attempts in November, trying to crochet a mug cosy from the Mollie Makes pattern I had given up. I could not get the work to fit the mug! I unraveled it all and rewound into a ball. But in Boxing Day, I picked up the yarn, and a small ball of blue dk – and DSCF2995produced this knitted mug cosy in next to no time.

I added a little patch with “Lucy” embroidered on it, and gave it to my niece [in the belief that 6th formers spend inordinate amounts of time drinking coffee]

I felt very pleased with this project, and have been pondering what to do next.

Last week, at Cornerstones, I knitted another V-neck slipover from my Sirdar Crofter pattern [bought Summer 2010 here] I used up 200g leftover dark red wool. I think I may make myself another one sometime – but I shall knit it longer. I have no intention of buying yarn – will have to check what is on hand [and maybe go stripey]

knitters year bags

But back to the DB book – simply because they are small projects, they lend themselves to using up leftovers [the oddments knitting bag – top right in the photo – is a good example]

I love the tetrahedron lavender bags. I found another enthusiastic review of the book here by Catherine which shows her lovely interpretation of this project.

When I knit more from the book, be sure I shall post details.

Has anyone else out there produced anything from this book?

5 comments:

  1. I can see how busy you are going to be this year! It sounds as though the book has some lovely ideas, small as well as more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter in law introduced me to Debbie Bliss when she was expecting because the baby wool is very soft and machine washable but as you may have already found out - it is expensive! But as a doting Grandma, I have treated the Grandboys to several DB jumpers, hats, socks and blankets, some of which have been worn by all three boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi . Love your blog. Just wanted to say I've been working through the patterns in this book all last year and have enjoyed every minute of it. I started out by buying the wool recommended but at nearly £5 a ball found it really too expensive for my purse. So i started looking in charity shops and have knitted using wool bought on the cheap and they've knitted up well, if not exactly the same ,good enough for me anyway.Hope you have as much fun as me with it. Best wishes Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I SAID I wasn't going to buy any more knitting books. Hmmmmm. I may have to. Debbie Bliss is a fantastic designer.
    YOU are a fine, fine, fine knitter, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great book! Thanks for sharing.
    I like your mug cozy ~ really cute!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!