Thursday 7 March 2013

World Book Day 2013

gruffalo

Here’s a great poem by Julia Donaldson [The Gruffalo Author!] It was published in the Waterstone’s Review last December- they had asked JD to be their Children’s Laureate for two years. She says this poem expresses her passion for reading which she wants all children to share.

I opened a book and in I strode

Now nobody can find me

I’ve left my chair, my house, my road,

My town and my world behind me

I’m wearing the cloak, I’ve slipped on the ring,

I’ve swallowed the magic potion

I fought with a dragon, dined with a king

And swum in a bottomless ocean

I opened a book and made some friends

I shared their tears and laughter

And followed their road with its bumps and bends

To the happily ever after

I finished my book

And out I came

The cloak can no longer hide me

My chair and my house are just the same,

But I have a book inside me

worldbookday2013pic

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou for sharing this lovely poem, it made me smile, it really describes the joy of reading books. It's so important to encourage children to read and to be a family that reads. Love your blog & always drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem, and so true... Son 2 is currently stuck in a book by 'Pittacus Lore', about youngsters from another planet who find themselves on earth and under threat from the aliens who have already destroyed their planet... I can quite see why my comments about needing to finish maths homework and/or wash the cars are falling on deaf ears!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!