Saturday 13 June 2015

Jenny's Rule

Many, many years ago, when I started work as a Supply Teacher, two days a week, I used to get things ready the night before [clothes, bag, packed lunch] Then the following morning I'd sit and wait for the phone to ring. And more often than not, it never did ring. I complained to my friend Jenny that I'd really wanted some work, and there wasn't any. I felt my day was wasted. Jenny wisely said that if I found myself with a 'spare' day, that instead of complaining, I should find a purposeful task and just apply myself to that for a day.
I applied for a job recently [not in teaching, but with a local charity] and the info said that interviews would be on June 11th. So I kept the 11th free [and the day before, so I could prepare any necessary presentations or whatever]
I didn't even get shortlisted for interview! 
I was a little deflated at first, then decided the right job will come along at the right time. And I applied Jenny's Rule, and found myself a project to fill the blank days in my diary. I helped out a friend by recovering the chairs she has in her conservatory. 
They were very faded, and the fabric was splitting in some places. I took out the zips from the original covers, made a paper pattern - and sewed them up. It was a challenging project, but I had lots of fun doing it.I covered some large flat buttons from the stash which helped to pull the 'back' cushions into shape.
That is so easy - just draw a circle twice the diameter of the original button [I used a jam jar lid] and then sew a circle of running stitches close to the edge and pop the button inside and pull it tight. 
I have not had the opportunity to do any school teaching since I got here - but there have already been countless opportunities to use my sewing skills to help other people. And that has been lovely. The book of Ecclesiastes reminds us
Each day is God’s gift. It’s all you get in exchange
For the hard work of staying alive.
Make the most of each one!
Whatever turns up, grab it and do it. And heartily!


5 comments:

  1. Good advice.
    I'm sure something suitable will turn up soon, or why don't you advertise your skills and start a small sewing/upholstery business in the back room or shed. You might as well get paid for doing it!
    I wonder if "pop up sewing rooms" might work.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you -a couple of other people have suggested that to me. I am thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are exactly with Jean's. You're a dab hand with your sewing skills - go for it. Great job on your friend's furniture. My boss needs the same done on her conservatory suite but Bob might object to you taking a couple of weeks away oop North! Lovely weekend to you, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you thought about writing a book? Thrifty patterns and tutorials? You have such a fab way with words I think it would suit you nicely.
    Bestseller list by Christmas I reckon!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above! I reallyove the book of Ecclesiastes, he was very wise in God. X

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!