Monday 15 June 2015

This Is Dorset, Not Wonderland!

Alice did not have a problem - her food was clearly labelled with an invitation for her to partake of it. My poor husband has the opposite to contend with - some of the food in this house is clearly labelled- with a warning for him not to eat it. Bob loves peanut butter. To be fair, he is not keen on jam or Marmite, PB is his spread of choice when it comes to toast, or a crust found lurking in the breadbin.
This weekend, Lidl had their own PB half price- a significant saving. We both prefer it to the Smart Price/Everyday Value brands from other supermarkets, which contain twice as much oil. So I decided to stock up. But I really didn't want any binging [should that be spelt bingeing?] So I labelled the jars - they must not be opened before the date on the top! Am I being carefully thrifty, or downright mean, do you think? And what strategies do other people use to prevent family members overeating the bulk buys?


8 comments:

  1. Looks like a good strategy. We love Lidl's PB too, but stocks were in short supply @ our branch, only got 1 jar on Saturday & 3 on Sunday, to be fair we only like the crunchy version, otherwise we could have bought more.Vee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hide it in a different cupboard and take it out a bit at a time and put it in the usual cupboard! Teenagers would eat the lot in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie

    Tell him you are looking after his waistline! Things just disappear here so I have stopped keeping them in the pantry but keep them elsewhere - otherwise when I go to get some there is none there. Take care sounds as though you are settling nicely in Dorset xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like SusanM I put bulk purchased food in a different place and bring it out when required.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea!
    Multibuys, BOGOFFs and suchlike are very tempting and I try to resist (I recently read somewhere that these offers re funded by the suppliers not the supermarkets themselves, just in case anyone thinks Tesco is giving away free stuff).
    It's annoying when I find that free packet of something lurking at the back of the cupboard, gone past its sell by date, because I forgot it was there and opened a newer one - I shall try your labelling method, it might just work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drat! I missed that offer plus we are going to Lidl tomorrow and PB is on the list. I have tried the stern warning but then go and ignore it myself! We have two old drawers on castors under the bed and these hold bulk buys, with just one or two in the kitchen. Out of sight, out of mind seems to work for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea! I WISH CBC had some sense of being frugal or just opening ONE thing but no, he has to open EVERYTHING and have a bit of everything! Three jars of honey on the go. I stock up on a few cheeses in Lidl so I don't have to go too often to rebuy and he opens ALL THE CHEESES! ANd he's really greedy with them! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Bob! I understand completely your 'addiction'! Last weekend i managed to eat a whole jar of the most well known brand of PB, (like the Lidl brand, it was on offer at a much reduced price). Not good for my healthy living plan and I may have put weight on at this weeks' weigh-in because, it tastes even better on hot toast! It did not contain palm oil either!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!